[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Join The Philadelphia Jazz Tap Ensemble for upcoming live concerts and livestreams (April 16-24)

Pamela Hetherington pamelamh4 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 12:00:29 EDT 2021

Our inspiration for our new piece, "Tyner and Timmons" came from a news
article we read after McCoy Tyner's death in March 2020, which mentioned
that he and Bobby Timmons shared the same piano teacher as kids. If you
grew up here, then you know that Philly is a small world -  a city of
neighborhoods. So, this purely Philly piece of trivia fascinated us and set
us thinking about how their two trajectories as jazz pianists started the
same but then, diverged so differently, and what that says about how
playing jazz demands that each artist must find their own sound.

As we developed the piece, we thought more about how each of us gets HERE,
to the point where we live and breathe jazz music and dance, how art forms
in the jazz tradition get passed down and how so much of it demands
careful, constant, intentional listening. Of course, that's the short
story! We have so much more to share, so I hope you'll join us at our
upcoming events, over the next week or so.

This Friday, April 16 at 11 am Eastern, we are offering a free preview
performance with live accompaniment on Zoom and, if you are in the North
Philly neighborhood, you can join us inside at Sound Space Performing Arts,
from a safe distance. Get more info with the Zoom link at our Facebook event
<https://www.facebook.com/events/2806302086285480> or just reply to this
message.

Next Friday and Saturday, April 23-24, you can watch the whole concert LIVE
or LIVESTREAMED. If you want to watch in-person, there are a limited number
of seats available here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tyner-and-timmons-tickets-141368126873>. If
you want to watch the livestreams from your favorite device, each night has
a different platform and program.

On Friday, April 23, 7-8 pm Eastern, the concert will be broadcast live on
PhillyCAM during their “Live Culture” program hour, on channels Xfinity
66/966/967 | Verizon 29/30 | Roku & Apple TV | or stream from
www.PhillyCAM.org.

On Saturday, April 24, this concert will go a little longer from 7-8:30 pm
Eastern and will be broadcast live on the Philadelphia Jazz Tap Ensemble
Facebook page <https://www.facebook.com/philajazztapensemble>. Just follow
us there and log on when we go live. Support for this new work gratefully
provided by The Philadelphia Cultural Fund and our tap and jazz community
friends from around the world.

Thank you for reading! And if you lose all this information, it's all
gathered in one place at www.philajazztap.org/tnt-
--
Pamela Hetherington
Artistic Director, Philadelphia Jazz Tap Ensemble