[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Moving Bodies in Frame online workshop

Terry Fox info at philadanceprojects.org
Thu Feb 11 15:58:03 EST 2021

Last March PDP had to cancel a dance on video workshop with Andrea Lerner
and Rosane Chamecki when we were also going to screen soome of their
screendance works on a shared program of other dance videographers and
choreographers in PDP" DANCE UP CLOSE series.  Andrea is leading a workshop
via Movement Research coming up. So I am passing info on to you
about this... here's a chance to participate again this March.
 -  Terry Fox, PDP Director

MOVING BODIES IN FRAME

New online workshop by Andrea Lerner.

Presented by Movement Research

Workshop: 8 classes of 90 min

Every Friday from 1:00 to 2:30 PM (eastern time)

Starting Date: March 5 Ending Date: April 13th

Workshop fee: $120

For details and Registration: https://movementresearch.org/event/15519

*Moving Bodies in Frame* focuses on "why and how" to convey a choreographic
idea into a filmic practice, and how the encounter between moving images
and moving bodies can expand the development of a choreographic language
beyond live performance.

In my experience, the vital question relies on these fundamental questions:
How are you positioning your work in relation to these two fields —
historically, aesthetically, conceptually? Is there a broad and thorough
blending of concepts, philosophy, process, and tools?
To help with these fundamental questions  this course will introduce the
participants to the history of video/experimental film, analyzing a variety
of works from the early experimental films made in the '20s and '30s, to
the pioneer video art made in the '60s and '70s, moving to contemporary
videos and installations, and finally, addressing the opportunities offered
by the new platforms available in this moment in time.

Participants will have a series of hands-on exercises and assignments
suggested every week, individually and/or in groups. These exercises
explore concepts of framing, camera movement, planes, deconstruction of
space and time, the relationship between camera movement and body movement,
special effects, post-production, installation, etc.

Participants will be encouraged to create a final assignment, a project
where they define a concept, shoot the video, address post-production
decisions like sound and editing. Finally, we will discuss how the project
should be experienced; is it an intimate or communal experience? Does it
ask for projection or monitor, small or big screen, one or multiple
screens, mobility of the viewer, interactiveness, etc.?

The class welcomes choreographers, performers, filmmakers, photographers,
cinematographers, media artists, or anyone interested in this process.
Camera will not be necessary; all assignments can be done with
participant's phones.

I am looking forward to working with you.

Andrea Lerner

*Andrea Lerner Bio:*

I am a native of Curitiba, Brazil, where I received a B.A. in Dance from
the Pontific Catholic of Parana in 1988 with Summa Cum Laude. In 1989,
shortly after arriving in New York City, I became the Co-artistic Director
of chameckilerner, an artistic duo collaboration between Rosane Chamecki
and me. In our 27 years working together, we created a body of work that
includes dance performances, video, and installation pieces.

I have been the recipient of various fellowships and grants, including the
prestigious Guggenheim Fellowship, The Foundation for Contemporary Arts,
NYFA Fellowship, NYSCA, NEFA, Jerome Foundation, Rockefeller MAP Fund,
SIEMENS, ALTRIA, Greenwall Foundation, among others.

In 2007, the boundaries of my work blurred when chameckilerner displaced
the choreographic work from the stage to the screen. This new body of work
featured in group shows including The Contemporary Art Festival
SESC-VideoBrasil, Tupi or Not Tupi at Museum Oscar Niemeyer in Curitiba,
Brazil, BLUEPRINT at MOCA Tucson, Boca Raton Museum of the Arts in Florida,
Wexner Center for The Arts in Ohio, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art,
SOFT POWER-Arte Brasil at Kunsthal KAdE in The Netherland, PERFORMA 09,
INVISIBLE DOG, and  THE BOILER- PIEROGI GALLERY, NY, to name a few.

chameckilerner video work also was part of an extended list of Film and
Dance Film festivals in the US, Canada, Brazil, and Europe.* Flying Lesson* won
the 36th Dance on Camera Festival at Lincoln Center (2008) and Best
Experimental Film Award at the Brooklyn International Film
Festival(2008). *Samba
#2 *won the Honorable Prize at the Inshadow Festival, Portugal, and at the
San Francisco Dance Film festival, U.S., both in 2014.

Together with Rosane Chamecki, I was a resident at Robert Wilson's
Watermill Center in 2009, at EMPAC (Curtis R. Priem ExperimentalMedia and
Performing Arts Center at Rensselaer), Troy, in 2014-15, and the YADDO
Foundation in 2018. I was a 2019 Artists in Residence at the ROBERT
RAUSCHENBERG Foundation and a Gibney DIP Residency Artist.

I have been teaching Contemporary Dance, Improvisation, and Dance Making
for over 20 years. Since 2014, I have added *Moving Bodies in Frame *to my
classes*. *Last Spring, I taught *Moving Bodies in Frame* at Sarah Lawrence
College. I am currently finishing my Master's at the Integrated Media Arts
program at Hunter College. Most recently, I became a recipient of the Fall
2020 Fellowships at The Bogliasco Foundation In Italy.

--

*"Dancers are here.  **They have never left, and they are ready to do the
work” Tommie-Waheed Evans, PDP Informance 2020*

PHILADELPHIADANCEPROJECTS

9 North Preston Street, Phila PA 19104 USA

215.546.2552   www.philadanceprojects.org