[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Winter Flamenco Classes (Starting January 10)

Pasión y Arte info at pasionyarteflamenco.org
Mon Dec 14 09:38:03 EST 2020

-Flamenco in 2021-
Pasion y Arte
*ANATOMY OF ALEGRIAS*
Sundays and Mondays:
Basic Beginner 10:30am-11:45am
Intermediate 12:00pm-1:15pm

As all of these classes will be held via Zoom, space will be limited to 10
students per class.

All classes will be taught by Pasion y Arte Artistic Director, Elba Hevia y
Vaca.

To sign up and secure your spot, please email elba at pasionyarteflamenco.org
and indicate which class and date/s you wish to participate in.

A suggested donation is $10 per class, however any amount you wish to give
is fine and appreciated during these difficult times.

>From Ms. Hevia y Vaca:

"My intention for this six week course is to investigate the palo of
Alegrias on a deeper level by submerging ourselves in this wonderful
celebratory rhythm that is about finding joy in our daily lives,
celebrating life, and looking at our lives with a positive outlook. I
realize that finding happiness and hope in our bodies is extremely
challenging during these isolating times where we are confronting so much
suffering, sickness, and death. My hope is that when we come together as a
collective in our class, we will find ways to share our joy and all of our
emotions. We will investigate different verses that support these
sentiments, so that we can find inspiration in words as well as in the
dance."

The goals for the Basic Beginner Level (Sundays and Mondays
10:30am-11:45am) is to introduce the compas of Alegrias by learning to play
the palmas, analyzing the rhythm structure, and finding the compas of joy
in our bodies. The basic flamenco technique of the arms, upper body, and
lower body to the rhythm of Alegrias will be introduced as will the basic
technique of footwork. The various parts of the Alegrias dance structure
will be discussed and we will investigate different verses and their
meanings. Each week we will learn different sections of the Alegrias dance
structure by applying all of the elements above; Salida/Entrance,
Llamada/Call, Letra, Escobilla

The goals for the Intermediate Level (Sundays and Mondays 12:00pm-1:15pm)
are to strengthen compass knowledge of Alegrias through palmas, brazeo, and
footwork and phrase work and understand the complete structure of Alegrias
dance. Each week a different section of the Alegrias dance will be
introduced, and we will start putting the pieces together. We will learn
Salida, Llamada, Letra, Subida, Silencio, Footwork and Closing. We will
investigate different Alegrias verses from different parts of Andalucia,
and how that would change our choreography.

Visit pasionyarteflamenco.org for additional information.