[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Movers and Makers: Philadanco Turns 50! will air Thursday, June 18th @7:30pm on WHYY TV

PhiladelphiaDANCE.org philadelphiadance at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 10:23:53 EDT 2020

Across the nation and around the world, The Philadelphia Dance Company,
fondly known as Philadanco, is recognized for innovation, creativity, and
the preservation of predominately African American traditions in dance.
This year Philadanco is celebrating 50 years of bringing the highest
quality dance performances to the stage, and for inspiring dancers from all
backgrounds. WHYY’s TV docuseries Movers & Makers has produced a special
half hour episode: Philadanco turns 50!

Movers & Makers highlights important arts and culture stories from the
Philadelphia, Southern New Jersey and Delaware regions. In Philadanco turns
50!, we meet Founder and Executive Artistic Director, Joan Myers Brown and
follow her journey through the world of dance as a Black Ballerina in the
era of segregation – to today. We hear from Brown as she ponders retirement
and the future of her company.

The program also features former dancers, colleagues from the dance
community, and Brenda Dixon-Gottschild, author of a 2012 biography about
Brown: Joan Myers Brown & the Audacious Hope of the Black Ballerina.

Philadanco turns 50! was written and produced by Karen Smyles, WHYY-TV
Producer, and former dancer with The Philadelphia Dance Company. “My hope
is that others will learn more about this artistic gem and the enormous
opportunities Brown and Philadanco have provided so many young black
dancers, myself included,” said Smyles.

Movers and Makers: Philadanco Turns 50! will air Thursday, June 18th
@7:30pm on WHYY TV and will be available for streaming afterward at
https://video.whyy.org/show/movers-makers/
--

[image: facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/philadelphiadance.org> [image:
twitter] <http://twitter.com/phillydance> [image: linkedin]

Founder

PhiladelphiaDANCE.org | The Dance Journal

Supporting Dance & The Arts in Philadelphia since 2005
484-469-0288
philadelphiadance at gmail.com
www.PhiladelphiaDANCE.org <https://www.philadelphiadance.org/>