[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Unemployment Insurance for Freelancers

PhiladelphiaDANCE.org philadelphiadance at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 16:58:33 EDT 2020

I apologize if this is a repeat email for you as it was previously sent out
to all those who subscribe to our weekly eNewsletter. However, this
information is important to many of us in the dance community and I want to
be sure as many people are aware of these development as possible.

President Trump has signed a bipartisan $2 trillion economic relief plan to
offer assistance to tens of millions of American households affected by the
coronavirus pandemic. Its components include stimulus payments to
individuals, expanded unemployment coverage, student loan changes, and
more. There have been many varying posts and information floating on Social
Media and the Internet. Based on factual information I have received from
government agencies I have been working with, here is a summary of what to
expect. As much of this is reliant on individual States to implement, the
information below is what I have been given as of 3/27/2020 at 9PM by State
Representative's Offices.

UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE FOR FREELANCERS
The stimulus plan now includes far more workers than are usually eligible
for unemployment benefits. Benefits will be available for self-employed
individuals and part-time workers. Those who are unemployed, are partly
unemployed or cannot work for a wide variety of coronavirus-related reasons
should be eligible to receive benefits.

Implementation of these new benefits and the amounts you may receive is
dependent on the State. As the bill is still very new, State agencies have
not been fully set up to handle this as of yet. Once they are fully
established and have received the necessary federal funds, applications by
freelancers / self-employed can then be made.

Benefit amounts will be calculated based on previous income, most likely
using a formula from the Disaster Unemployment Assistance
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0017sY0AP88R1ZJJyrafXxxHOFEGBQYUdc7nHWo5jQA02IT2Zumx3JqBhBt5J75ZusKXznq_sJ_H0Rt7j1txgGJZ4No87uhKa1moyryW59bJTK82P4rGx3QlRPU_pyYJxbNewQLEwvNdE8SonkbXfqb7OQkYBgPMzgPwez7F3OBHBn4fotEDHKUzg==&c=jr1UrQzkzXv7VE9NaL6-vhymcIcGgbT6V7U-f4qZp-SHs0_oUNbG6Q==&ch=CgwNPvCN2nAnEyEQTclxMV5rh2pwxHcHxpoZtet0J454e0wyRrEB-g==>
(DUA
- https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/597
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0017sY0AP88R1ZJJyrafXxxHOFEGBQYUdc7nHWo5jQA02IT2Zumx3JqBhBt5J75ZusKeOzK7gbslk93Xe4HcagGbTvm6dIpupTWCoIC-u4rUwwP8P3WHLHq2jNx1-lQ2z9fYBPdzg8gFQqgNlbX0D4pvQVxCHBUPypX&c=jr1UrQzkzXv7VE9NaL6-vhymcIcGgbT6V7U-f4qZp-SHs0_oUNbG6Q==&ch=CgwNPvCN2nAnEyEQTclxMV5rh2pwxHcHxpoZtet0J454e0wyRrEB-g==>
)  program
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=0017sY0AP88R1ZJJyrafXxxHOFEGBQYUdc7nHWo5jQA02IT2Zumx3JqBhBt5J75ZusKeOzK7gbslk93Xe4HcagGbTvm6dIpupTWCoIC-u4rUwwP8P3WHLHq2jNx1-lQ2z9fYBPdzg8gFQqgNlbX0D4pvQVxCHBUPypX&c=jr1UrQzkzXv7VE9NaL6-vhymcIcGgbT6V7U-f4qZp-SHs0_oUNbG6Q==&ch=CgwNPvCN2nAnEyEQTclxMV5rh2pwxHcHxpoZtet0J454e0wyRrEB-g==>
.

Self-employed workers will also be eligible for the additional $600 weekly
benefit provided by the federal government as part of the stimulus package.

STIMULUS PAYMENTS
At the moment, the stimulus package is one single payment. The amount of
that payment will depend on your income.

Single adults with Social Security numbers who have an adjusted gross
income of $75,000 or less will get the full amount of $1,200. Married
couples with no children earning $150,000 or less will receive a total of
$2,400. And taxpayers filing as head of household will get the full payment
of $1,200 if they earned $112,500 or less.

Above those income figures, the payment decreases until it stops altogether
for single people earning $99,000 or married people who have no children
and earn $198,000.

According to the Senate Finance Committee, a family with two children will
no longer be eligible for any payments if its income surpassed $218,000.

You are not eligible for a payment if someone claims you as a dependent,
even if you're an adult. Everyone for the most part must have a valid
Social Security number in order to be eligible. The only exception is for
members of the military.

NOT SURE WHAT YOUR INCOME WAS IN 2019?
You can check your adjusted gross income on Line 8b of the 2019 1040
federal tax return.
If you haven't prepared a tax return yet, you can use your 2018 return.
If you have not filed a 2018 or 2019 tax return, this could potentially
hold up your payment.

Payments will start to be sent in approximately 3 weeks according to the
treasury department. You do NOT need to do any further application or
paperwork. If the Internal Revenue Service already has your bank account
information, it will transfer the money to you via direct deposit based on
the recent income-tax figures it already has.

You will also get a paper notice by postal mail a few weeks after your
payment has been disbursed. That notice will contain information about
where the payment was disbursed and in what form it was made. If you have
not received your payment but received your notice, you will need to
contact the IRS.

This stimulus payment is tax free if I have read the bill correctly.

DISCLAIMER
I have done my best to interpret and present the information about the
stimulus bill and unemployement insurance for freelancers/self-employed to
the best of my knowledge based on facts provided to me by various
government agencies. I am not offering legal or financial advice with this
post nor do I claim to be an expert in these areas. Please do your own due
diligence as you see fit for your individual circumstances. I accept
neither liability or responsibility for decisions made as a result of this
post/email.

*Be safe and keep dancing!*

*Steve*

--

[image: facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/philadelphiadance.org> [image:
twitter] <http://twitter.com/phillydance> [image: linkedin]

Founder

PhiladelphiaDANCE.org | The Dance Journal

Supporting Dance & The Arts in Philadelphia since 2005
484-469-0288
philadelphiadance at gmail.com
www.PhiladelphiaDANCE.org <https://www.philadelphiadance.org/>