[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Contact Improvisation with Nicole Bindler 2-16-20

Curt Haworth curthaworth at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 11:06:51 EST 2020

CI class this Sunday February 16th will be taught by Nicole Bindler

Location: Headlong Studios, 1170 S. Broad St. (near Broad/Federal SEPTA
stop)
1 to 3 PM, every Sunday, $10 drop-in
Please arrive in time to dress and be ready to go at 1pm

Matching Tone/Matching Power
In this class we'll explore the idea of tone in contact improvisation (CI)
dances, using CI skills and Body-Mind Centering® (BMC®) practices. In BMC
we often refer to a person’s tone as a way of describing their overall
state of activity vs. rest or tension vs. release. Tone can vary from one
part of the body to another, and many people who occupy a single space can
embody distinct and diverse expressions of tone. In CI and BMC we often
experiment with matching other people’s tone, or going under or over their
tone to explore the various ways we can meet others. When we look at these
principles through an embodied lens, we find a wealth of knowledge and
material to use in our CI practice toward more dynamic, juicy, relational
dances. When we look at these principles through a social lens, we find
opportunities to explore power dynamics, and any biases we might have
toward certain kinds of tone. Through a broadening of our capacity to
modulate our tone, we can find avenues toward more creativity, agency,
freedom, and safety in our dances.

Nicole Bindler is a Philadelphia-based dance-maker, somatics practitioner,
educator, writer, and activist. Her performance work and teaching have been
presented at festivals, conferences, and intensives throughout the U.S.,
Canada, Argentina, Europe, and in Tokyo, Beirut, Bethlehem, Mexico City,
and Quito. Her current projects include teaching about consent culture and
disability justice in contact improvisation; somatic research on the
embryology of the genitalia from a non-binary perspective; and
collaborations with Diyar Theatre in Bethlehem, Palestine. She organizes
with Jewish Voice for Peace-Philadelphia and as a member of Earthdance’s
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee. Her writing on dance, somatics,
and politics has been published in Critical Correspondence, Contact
Quarterly, Emergency Index by Ugly Duckling Presse, Jewish Currents, BMC®
Currents, Curate This, Journal of Dance & Somatic Practices, Somatics
Toolkit, American Jewish Studies Perspectives, and thINKingDANCE.

--

Curt Haworth

he/him or they/them

Choreographer-Improviser-Teacher