[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Get What You Need this weekend. Want to show work?

zornitsa at herebegindance.com zornitsa at herebegindance.com
Tue Jan 14 14:44:46 EST 2020

Dear dance community,

Get What You Need (GWYN) third iteration is coming up this Saturday. Come
see work in progress by Mira and Janna, who are the GWYN residents. ONE spot
is still available.  Want to show something and get feedback? Come hang out,
watch rad performances in progress and have an in depth conversation about
the work.

WHEN:

Saturday January 18th 1mm - 4pm

With SILVANA CARDELL as mentor

WHERE:

Cardell Dance Studio
1713 Melon St, Philadelphia,
PA 19130

WHO is SHOWING:

Janna Meiring

Mira Treatman

ONE SPOT AVAILABE!!! ITS yours if you want it, just email me back.

FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/544455809720170/

Here is what Janna and Mira say about their work:

Janna:

"I am married to a Puerto Rican who could barely speak a few words of

English when we met 10 years ago. Now my wife is fluent in English, and I

can sputter only a few loving sentiments in Spanish. Not only is this a

personal pain point (and deeply embarrassing), this is a serious problem

that Americans have -we resist the notion that we aren't the only ones in

the world. I believe this world view has been internalized and sewn into the

body. This piece is a vehicle to finally learn Spanish through part

documentary, part somatic-movement-multi-disciplinary performance. I will

explore the resistance, the embarrassment, the science and the underlying

racism that perpetuates my mono-lingual nature, and I'll do it. I'll learn

Spanish."

Mira:

"I seek to destroy the social-choreographic divide. Using nursery rhymes and

familiar songs as a point of departure, I will work with a cast mixed of

professional performers, dedicated dance audience members, and social

instigators ranging in age from 22 to 60 to complete a project I started

about two years ago. "Supernatural Displays of Yearning," is a collaborative

exploration into grief, trauma, and desire."

Get What You Need (GWYN) is a work in progress showing platform that allows

movement artists in the Philadelphia area to show work and get feedback on

their artistic process monthly. Created by multidisciplinary artists

Zornitsa Stoyanova, GWYN has been a facet to the Philadelphia dance

community since late 2014 and helped over 40 individual artists.

This year marks the expansion of GWYN into a city wide performance support

residency.

GWYN Residency program is almost entirely created by donated space and time.

It is made possible by the generous support of The Fidget Space, The Art

Room, 954 Dance Movement Collective, Cardell Dance Studio, Community

Education Center, The Beard Cave and PhiladelphiaDANCE.org.

More info on the program here:
https://www.bodymeld.org/get-what-you-need/

performance artist | curator | filmmaker | teacher
Dance writer for
<http://www.thinkingdance.net/articles/author/Zornitsa-Stoyanova/>
thINKingDance.net

 <https://www.instagram.com/zstoy/> IG:@zstoy

Director of BodyMeld - new dance platform
 <http://www.bodymeld.org> www.bodymeld.org