[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] 8--week Absolute Beginner Tap Workshop starts this Saturday...2 spots remain!

Pamela Hetherington pamelamh4 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 10:52:24 EST 2020

Basic details:
January 18 - March 7
12-1 pm
2511 West Girard Avenue, 2nd Floor
$99 for the 8 weeks, or $13 drop-in
Live piano accompaniment
Appropriate for dancers and musicians
Shoes recommended but not required
To sign up, go online
<https://www.soundspacephilly.net/adult-class/drop-in-classes>
-----
Is this class for you? Here's some more about it:

Over the last three years, I have developed this absolute beginner workshop
in collaboration with all of the many students who have come and taken my
classes and let me try out ideas and concepts on them. I am always amazed
at how much music really lives in inside all of us. None of us are
beginners.

I teach this workshop as a mix of technique and concepts, grounded in the
form of jazz music. My tap dance training began in a neighborhood studio in
Northeast Philadelphia many years ago. Back then, most dance studios
started you out learning "steps." I was good at "steps," but I loved tap
dance so much, and I had this hunch there was more to it, so I searched for
more. And this was before the internet, when you really had to dig! When I
was 15, I joined an adult evening class at the University of the Arts,
where I was introduced to LaVaughn Robinson. I began to scratch the surface
of the notion that tap was more than just steps…to put it mildly. And then,
my journey continued...and continues. Ten years ago, I met Heather Cornell,
who pushed me fully into jazz music, inspiring me to create my own
compositions and deepen my relationship to jazz improvisation, and that's
where I center my practice now as a performer and educator.

Tap dance is music, and in keeping with the tradition of the dance, we are
jazz musicians. What I love about tap, and what keeps me obsessed with it,
is how we can use our bodies to feel the satisfying thrill of making music.
It never gets old! If you join us this Saturday, my hope is that you find
your joy and your own music through this 8-week time together. I also hope
that you get inspired to walk your own journey through this amazing
American art form, long after the classes end.

Finally, yes, there is live music! I’ll be plinking out tunes the piano for
the first 6 weeks, and then my brilliantly talented friend, Erica Corbo,
will thankfully take over and accompany us for the last 2 weeks. Hope to
see you!

Pam

--
Pamela Hetherington