[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] special Underscore (last at 155 Cecil B. Moore) and extended Thanksgiving

Loren Groenendaal lorengroenendaal at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 22:07:17 EST 2019

Hello Philadelphia Dance Community,

You are invited to a very special Underscore this Saturday!

It is special for several reasons:
1) This will be the last Underscore at Mascher Space Cooperative's current
location at 155 Cecil B. Moore.

2) This Underscore will be audio recorded for the sake of creating music
from the creaks in the floor from our dancing. You can hear the recordings
or music later if you are interested. Speaking in Assembly and Thanksgiving
will not be recorded.

3) This Underscore will be followed by an "extended Thanksgiving" a time to
dine together and give thanks for our Underscore Practice, 14 years of
Mascher Space Co-op, and other elements in our lives. This will be a late
lunch at Front Street Cafe. Participants pay for their own meal and split
tipping. RSVP by Thursday 11/7 night is required.

RSVPs are best as emails to LorenTeachesMovement at gmail.com or
LorenGroenendaal at gmail.com

More info below. I hope you can make it!

Best,
Loren

November Philly Underscore with Talk Through and extended Thanksgiving
Saturday, November 9, 2019
https://www.facebook.com/events/958760924479205/

9:30am-10:30am Underscore Talk Through
Steap and Grind Cafe, 1619 Frankford Ave. at corner with Columbia, near
Palmer Park
RSVP required, anytime beforehand is helpful

11am-2pm Underscore Practice
Mascher Space Cooperative, 155 Cecil B. Moore Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19122
sliding scale $5-15, cash, check or paypal
RSVP is not required

2-4pm Extended Thanksgiving
Front Street Cafe, 1253 N Front Street, Philadelphia, PA 1912
RSVP by Thursday 11/7 night is required

The Underscore Practice is a simple and beautiful structure for a focused
jam-like practice developed by Nancy Stark Smith. The structure is a
precise, but open platform for investigation of contact improvisation and
solo and group improvised composition. The score is an organic
developmental nonverbal sequence that provides focus to the dancing
community and opens up possibilities for movement, awareness, connection,
and various physical/mental states. We commit to participating in the
entire score.

A prior Talk Through is required for any Underscore practitioner. The
Underscore Talk Through outlines the structure of the Underscore Practice,
so that participants are all practicing together and nonverbally. The talk
through also provides a common language and glyphs (symbols) to use when
reflecting on our practice in the concluding Thanksgiving and Harvest. If
you have not participated in an Underscore Talk Through before, you should
attend. The Talk Through introduces you to the structure of the jam, so we
can nonverbally follow the dancing journey together.

Nancy Stark Smith, who originated the practice, describes it this way:
"The Underscore is a vehicle for incorporating Contact Improvisation into a
broader arena of improvisational dance practice; for developing greater
ease dancing in spherical space—alone and with others; and for integrating
kinesthetic and compositional concerns while improvising. It allows for a
full spectrum of energetic and physical expressions, embodying a range of
forms and changing states. Its practice is familiar yet unpredictable." (
http://nancystarksmith.com/underscore)

NOTES:
This is NOT a come and go jam. Plan on committing to the whole session.
Built into this long duration, there is time for preparation and recovery.

As this is a long jam without coming and going, you are encouraged to bring
water and snacks. However, we will not do much snacking at the end this
month as we will transition to Front Street Cafe for a late lunch.

It is recommended to bring a JOURNAL and PEN for reflection during the
score or learning the score in the talk through.

TENTATIVE UPCOMING DATES: 12/14/19, time tbd, likely 2-5, and in 2020
usually last or 3rd Saturday of the month, usually 2-5

This November Underscore is part of the larger Mascher Space's 155 Swan
Song Festival
a celebration of 14 years of the current Mascher Space, and the Co-op's
transition to a new space including performances by current and former
mascher members as well as classes and a dance party! Mascher will be
moving to 2519 Germantown Ave in mid November.
Friday- Sunday, November 8-10
https://www.facebook.com/events/707502753085897/

QUESTIONS or to RSVP: Email LorenTeachesMovement at gmail.com or
LorenGroenendaal at gmail.com