[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Lyons & Tigers this weekend in the Fringe at the Performance Garage!

Darcy Lyons darcydlyons at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 13:29:47 EDT 2019

Lyons and Tigers presents* Proceed with Caution *in the 2019 Philadelphia
Fringe Festival

https://fringearts.com/event/proceed-caution/

Facebook Event <https://www.facebook.com/events/1192550524251014/> (Let us
know you're coming and help spread the word)

September 20 + 21 at 7:30 PM
September 22 at 2 PM
Performance Garage
1515 Brandywine Street Philadelphia, PA 19130
$20 General Admission, $15 Students, 25 and under, PhiladelphiaDANCE Members
Run time is approximately one hour

Proceed with Caution grapples with personal, social, and global security
and trust in the present-day—a time of global violence, the Trump
presidency, mass shootings, and the #MeToo
<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/metoo> movement. A group of performers
explore security through dance, video projection, and spoken and recorded
words.

Refreshed and expanded after it’s premiere in the 2018 Fringe Festival, the
work directed by Darcy Lyons is back to take the stage at one of
Philadelphia’s best venues for dance.

Expanded and updated over the past year, Proceed with Caution includes a
new twenty minute section about security after 9/11. The central theme of
the work comes from security expert Bruce Schneier. He writes: “Security is
both a reality and a feeling and they’re not the same thing… The foundation
of security is trust, both personal trust and global trust.”

The piece begins to address these questions: How do humans build trust in
dance? How do we build trust with each other? How do we build trust in the
world at large? How do we address and assess our fears about personal
safety? How do our personal feelings of security intersect with global
security? How do we make an impact on security through art and activism?
With the support of projected video dispersed throughout the piece, the
group of performers tell raw stories in their own voices and bodies of
their real life experiences of feeling safe, feeling scared, and being
truly endangered. The new hour-long version evolves as it moves from the
personal to the global, addressing modern issues and how they affect our
individual and collective associations and understandings of safety within
an increasingly turbulent humanity. Proceed with Caution does not claim to
have all the answers, but it’s worth experiencing because the work takes a
brave step into exploring one of today’s greatest challenges that everyone
can relate to: security.

Directed and produced by Darcy Lyons
Co-choreographed, written and performed by Emma Elsmo, Gabi Montoya, Olivia
Naegele, and Sammi Rosenfeld
Previous contributors to the work include Amalia Colõn-Nava, Mason
Rosenthal, and Carlos Campillo Rubio
Original Costumes created by Cybele Moon

**This production is not suitable for children and may contain triggering
content.**

About the company:

Lyons and Tigers creates dance theater work for the stage, performance
installations, and dance films. We revel in crossing those fabricated lines
that often restrict dance making. We enjoy experimenting and taking risks.
We are highly collaborative within the company and our work is often
co-created with video projection, visual art, and text that is spoken,
recorded, and projected. Our work pushes the edges of discomfort, crawls
into the risky places that make our hair stand on end, make our hearts
softly open to the world, or pull us into one of the many places in between.