[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] "Keening"- 3 ways to participate this summer

Anne Wilson anne.macg.wilson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 16:36:23 EDT 2019

"Keening," a free, shared wailing practice.

Two workshop and five performance opportunities.

1) As part of the* Kinematic Workshop: Saturday, July 20th, 1-3 pm*

 The Icebox, 1400 N American Street. Register for this one-day, standalone
workshop here
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/annie-wilson-keening-tickets-64575566257>.

This workshop is open to anyone interested in
wailing/moaning/singing/burping in the beautifully resonant Icebox space.
FREE

2) *5 weeks of Wednesdays, 7/31-8/28, 6-8 pm*

The Whole Shebang, 1813 S 11th st, rear entrance. Email
anne.macg.wilson at gmail.com to register.

This workshop is open to anyone interested in
wailing/moaning/singing/burping in the also-quite-resonant Whole Shebang.
Registration priority given to folks who can commit to four sessions. If
you are interested but can't commit to that many, please let me know and we
can talk it out.

FREE but donations accepted to cover the cost of space.

During the development of my solo At Home with the Humorless Bastard, I
developed a vocal practice inspired by the old Celtic practice of keening:
wailing over a recently-dead person’s body. This workshop is an experiment
in “keening” in a group setting. I’d like to offer it to people who might
find it useful in their artistic practices or daily lives, both in moments
of grief/frustration/despair, but also exuberant moments of
joy/love/hypomania. That said, the practice is somewhat co-created by the
folks who are in the room.

Please note: I don’t have many years of vocal training. I'd like to share
this research not from a place of authority, but from a place of experience
and shared curiosity with the other folks in the room. Please take care of
yourself however you need during this workshop.

3) *Performance opportunity as part of my show bilialien,* part of a
mini-festival in partnership with Nichole Canuso Dance Company, part of the
Fringe festival.

When: 9/6 @ 9 PM, 9/7 @ 3 pm, 9/8 @ 8 PM, 9/9 @ 5 PM, 9/10 @ 1 pm

Where: Theatre Exile, northwest corner of 13th and Reed

Why? If you’re interested in diving deeper into keening + improvisational
scores, maybe joining a rehearsal/performance process is a good fit for
you.

As part of the Fringe show *bilialien*, there will be a 20-30 minute piece
based on this shared practice of keening. Participants will rehearse and
develop improvisational vocal scores together, with an eye towards
performance.

The performance will happen in almost-total darkness, and participants will
engage in discussion about how to be credited.

Rehearsals will take place *5 weeks of Wednesdays, 7/31-8/28, 8-10 pm
(right after the shared practice), *at The Whole Shebang, 1813 S 11th St,
rear entrance.

*The time commitments in order to participate in the performance element:*

- Perform in at least 2 out of 5 shows

- Attend at least 3 out of 5 Wednesday night practices and rehearsals

- Attend 2 additional 3-hour rehearsals at a time to be determined by
participants and a doodle survey

- Attend a tech rehearsal Thursday, 9/5, from 6-10 pm at Theatre Exile

Pay: Unfortunately no cash, but I'll bring excellent snacks to each
rehearsal.

Interested? Questions? Comments? Interested but have some time commitment
obstacles? Have thoughts about my problematic labor practices? Please email
me at anne.macg.wilson at gmail.com

--

*www.theanniewilson.com <http://www.theanniewilson.com>*