[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Focused Improvisational group practice 1/26/19

Loren Groenendaal lorengroenendaal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 12:40:21 EST 2019

Hello dancers,

I hope you consider joining me in the next Underscore that I will be
hosting is this Saturday, January 26th 1-4pm at Mascher Space Cooperative.

If you haven't done this practice before, you will need a Talk-Through
before hand. RSVP required. This talk-through will be held 11:30am-12:30pm
at Steap and Grind Cafe in Fishtown.

More detail below or here: https://www.facebook.com/events/371147750114379/

Best,
Loren

The Underscore Practice is a simple and beautiful structure for a focused
jam-like practice developed by Nancy Stark Smith. The structure is a
precise, but open platform for investigation of contact improvisation and
solo and group improvised composition. The score is an organic
developmental nonverbal sequence that provides focus to the dancing
community and opens up possibilities for movement, awareness, connection,
and various physical/mental states. We commit to participating in the
entire score.

WHAT: UNDERSCORE TALK THROUGH
WHEN: Saturday January 26, 2019 11:30am-12:30pm
WHERE: Steap and Grind Cafe <https://www.steapandgrind.com/>, 1619
Frankford Ave. in Fishtown near Palmer Park

WHO: If you haven't had a talk through and would like to participate in the
Underscore, RSVP for this Talk Through by emailing
LorenTeachesMovement at gmail.com.

WHY: The Underscore Talk Through outlines the structure of the Underscore
Practice, so that participants are all practicing together and nonverbally.
The talk through also provides a common language and glyphs (symbols) to
use when reflecting on our practice in the concluding Thanksgiving and
Harvest. If you have not participated in an Underscore talk through before,
you should attend. The talk through introduces you to the structure of the
jam, so we can nonverbally follow the dancing journey together.

WHAT: PHILLY UNDERSCORE PRACTICE

WHERE: Mascher Space Cooperative
155 Cecil B. Moore Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19122
(near Berks and Girard stops of Market-Frankford Line, ring bell to get in)

WHEN: Saturday, January 26, 2019
1:00-4:00pm Underscore Practice

WHO: Any mover who has had an Underscore talk through may participate. If
you've had a talk through, you can come at 1:00 just for the practice.

ADMISSION: $5-$15 sliding scale
No advance tickets. Pay at event.

MORE INFORMATION:
Nancy Stark Smith, who originated the practice, describes it this way:

"The Underscore is a vehicle for incorporating Contact Improvisation into a
broader arena of improvisational dance practice; for developing greater
ease dancing in spherical space—alone and with others; and for integrating
kinesthetic and compositional concerns while improvising. It allows for a
full spectrum of energetic and physical expressions, embodying a range of
forms and changing states. Its practice is familiar yet unpredictable." (
http://nancystarksmith.com/underscore
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fnancystarksmith.com%2Funderscore&h=AT3hq_DnT-n75V5LRHS6Amw7hIcYiMZsI8rB4POB34XKmX9Sg696o5r2AaY0w8gbI4E0wvh2_YBp6okGpq-xM5AQZA3DW-2bAkp5TUJ_7PJyBt1tiywsjmpwhiji8b9GjLtmVHU>
)

NOTES:
This is NOT a come and go jam. Plan on committing to the whole session.
Built into this long duration, there is time for preparation and recovery.

As this is a long jam without coming and going, it is highly recommended to
bring SNACKS for yourself and ideally some to share with the group in the
Harvest and Thanksgiving time at the end.

It is recommended to bring a JOURNAL and PEN for reflection during the
score or learning the score in the talk through.

QUESTIONS: Email LorenTeachesMovement at gmail.com

*Loren Groenendaal*
MFA in Choreography
BA in Dance and Visual Arts
Certified Movement Analyst
Freelance Teaching Artist as Loren Teaches Movement
<https://www.lorenteachesmovement.com/>
Founding Artistic Director of Vervet Dance <http://www.vervetdance.org/>
Founding Member, Curator of Impermanent Society of Philadelphia
<http://www.impermanentsociety.com/>
Founding Member, Board Member, Artist in Residence of Mascher Space
Cooperative <http://mascherdance.com/>

Accepting secure tax deductible donations to Vervet Dance through Fractured
Atlas
<https://www.fracturedatlas.org/site/fiscal/profile?id=8174#about_project> to
support our ongoing expenses and upcoming projects.