[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] "Body Maps" Free Workshop Series Beginning Jan 31st

PhiladelphiaDANCE.org philadelphiadance at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 16:01:57 EST 2019

SENT BY PhiladelphaiDANCE.org for  info.lionorfox at gmail.com
Do NOT reply directly to this email but contact info.lionorfox at gmail.com

Body Maps: 8-Week Performance Series for Chronic Illness Communities

Body Maps is a progressive 8-week workshop that results in an experimental
performance piece. This includes an option to participate in a
works-in-progress showing in collaboration with professional artists. Class
will run on Thursdays from 6:30 - 8 from January 31st- March 21st at the
Philadelphia School of Circus Arts. This is a FREE pilot series for social
intervention, drawing together communities that experience chronic illness.
We center ourselves through a positive, creative act...a performance of
resilience, healthy embodiment, and community.

Priority registration goes to artists with chronic illnesses. One week
prior to the start of the class,  remaining spots will be released to the
general public. Register your interest through Eventbrite, or by emailing
info.lionorfox at gmail.com

COURSE DESCRIPTION:

In the beginning, maps were nothing more than theories, plans to journey
and bring back data, rough pictures that allowed new explorers to travel
further into the unknown. Having traversed our planet outwardly, we begin
the journey in. We can spend our whole lives getting to know the maps of
our bodies, their patterns, preferences, joys, obstacles, and hidden
history. The way we frame this journey has everything to do with where we
end up. So let's create maps of our journeys.... separately, but together.

Body Maps is a combination of movement exploration and conceptual inquiry.
It's designed to dissect aspects of our physical selves in relation to our
experience, put in context with broader habits, patterns found in nature,
and archetypal symbols. Using writing prompts and movement exercises to
test out physical "theories", we will seek to understand our body as
landscape both inwardly and as part of a larger whole.

Strong predictions force the growth of theories- they turn hypotheses into
research programs (Horace Freeland Judson).

Wear comfortable clothes. Expect to move around, and bring whatever
virtuosity you carry with you, from any background. No performance
experience necessary. It's recommended to bring a notebook. Priority
registration goes to artists with chronic illnesses. Please contact with
any accommodation needs and we will do our best to arrange for the most
optimal participation. Questions, email: info.lionorfox at gmail.com.

WEEK 1: Body Maps

WEEK 2: Ripple/ Quake

WEEK 3: Shape-shifting

WEEK 4: Group share cumulative

WEEK 5: Rewilding: Dog vs Wolf

WEEK 6: Out in the Cold

WEEK 7: Full score construction/rehearsal

WEEK 8: Full score rehearsal/in-class performance