[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Performance Opportunity

Melissa Chisena melcat29 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 10:23:38 EDT 2017

Youth Performance OpportunityWe hope that you are having a successful start to your danceseason!The Britni P. Zarin Scholarship Fund Committee is hostingour first annual scholarship fund dance benefit at Academy Park High School onSaturday December 2, 2017 at 2pm. We are extending an invitation to dance schools in theTri-State area to participate in this worthwhile event and receive a dancescholarship for one or more of their school’s dancers.  We are proud to announce that we have awardedover $4,600 in dance scholarship in our first year!  We are excited to offer each dance school who chooses toparticipate in the dance benefit the opportunity to receive up to a $1,000Britni P. Zarin dance scholarship for one or more dancers at their school.We ask that you and your staff nominate at least 3 dancerswhom you feel most needs financial aid. All dancers participating in thebenefit will email a paragraph to the scholarship committee explaining whatdance means to him/her no later than November 15 th . Scholarship recipientsfor each school will be determined by the scholarship committee based on therecommendation of the student and the paragraph he/she submitted. Please havedancers send all paragraphs to: britnipzarinscholarship at gmail.comWe ask that each school perform two dances in our benefitshow with at least one piece including their dance scholarship nominees. Eachdance school is also asked to place a full-page ad in the program with adonation of $50 towards the scholarship fund. Each dancer would be responsibleto sell 2 tickets at $25 each and purchase a Scholarship shirt at $20 each. Thescholarship shirt will be worn during the finale of the show at which time therecipients will be announced. We ask that the studio owner or a representativeof the school be present for the presentation of the scholarship to theirschool’s recipient. The studio owner/representative will receive onecomplimentary ticket to the show.In addition to performing, each school has the option tohave their pieces critiqued by Andrea Mychaels who will give her opinion toenable you and your dancers to prepare for the upcoming 2017-18 competitionseason. The cost for this option will be $50 per piece critiqued.Written critiques will be handed out to each studiofollowing the benefit. The money raised from each school through ticket sales,t-shirt sales and ad placement will directly fund the scholarship to yourschool’s recipient up to a maximum amount of $1,000. If the scholarshipcommittee determines more than one nominated student should receive ascholarship, that award will be split evenly amongst recipients. Any additionalfunds raised will be put into the Britni P. Zarin Scholarship Fund for futureprograms and scholarships. A special prize will be awarded to the school whoraises the most money and all students who participate will receive a freemaster class from Andrea as well as a small gift as a thank you. Academy Park High School is located at 300 Calcon Hook Roadin Sharon Hill, PA. All spectators must have a ticket to enter the auditorium.We hope that you will join us in sharing the joy of dancewith underprivileged and financially disadvantaged dancers in the Tri-Statearea.This link will take you to the form you will need to fillout to reserve a place for your dancers in our benefit and nominate thescholarship recipients. Once registered, you will be contacted with additionalinformation regarding ticket sales and t-shirt ordering.https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScKt1KHpEP1khVqEwR40pv2VjGWn-r0z_ZOaF9qILUBSn2Smg/viewform We look forward having you and your dancers participate inthis worthwhile event. Thank you!Britni P. ZarinScholarship Committee The Britni P. Zarin Scholarship Fund was founded in 2016 byJanice Verone in memory of anaccomplished dancer, choreographer, teacher andmentor at Janice’s DanceWorks Inc. who shared in her belief that everyoneshould have the opportunity to participate in learning the art of dance.  Britni was a vivacious and caring teacher whoinstilled self-discipline, strong work ethic, dedication, perseverance, passionand teamwork in all her students.  Britnitook time during each of her classes to make sure that every student knew thatthey each brought something special to the team, therefore buildingself-esteem. Keeping alive her belief that there is good in everyone and thatevery person deserves the opportunity to participate in nurturing and healthyactivities, we provide dance scholarships to individuals who need it the most.The Scholarship was founded with the idea that everyone, no matter what theirsituation, can excel at the art of dance. To ensure these beliefs, the Scholarship Fund operates as a charity thataccepts donations to finance and assemble dance and activity classes for aspiring,underprivileged and challenged dancers. For the challenged, it offersopportunities to exercise and have fun at their own pace.  For underprivileged and aspiring dancers, it providesscholarships for recreational and ​competitive level training, which opens thedoors to excel in the field of dance.  Melissa Chisena/Chisena Danzawww.chisenadanza.com