[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Contact Improvisation and the Reflexes: More Beautiful Ways to Fall

Nicole Bindler nicolebindler at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 20:58:03 EDT 2017

Hello Philly dance people!

I'm teaching a few classes on Body-Mind Centering®, the reflexes, and
Contact Improvisation at The Whole Shebang and Headlong Studios in the next
few weeks. I find this material to be incredibly enlivening, fun, and
healing. It's also kind of geeky. I hope to see you at one of these
classes! Feel free to email me with any questions.

Saturday April 22nd, 11am-2pm at The Whole Shebang
<http://www.thewholeshebangphilly.com/take-classes/embodied-anatomy-with-nicole-bindler>
.
Sundays April 23rd, 30th and May 7th at Headlong Studios
<http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/ci/>.

[image: Inline image 1]

*More Beautiful Ways to Fall: Contact Improvisation and the Reflexes*
The reflexes are automatic responses to sensory stimulation that arise and
integrate throughout the early months and years of our lives. They enable
us to relate to gravity, space and others. Embedded in the reflexes is
important information about why we move as we do, and opportunities to
broaden our potential for different kinds of responses to situations,
whether it's physics or human relationships. Through practicing the
reflexes, we remember the alphabet of our movement, uncover potential
causes for inefficient movement pathways, and learn more beautiful ways to
fall. In these classes we will go over a few of the reflex patterns and
practice them in the context of solo dancing and with partners.

*Nicole Bindler* is a body-based performing artist whose work is inspired
by her training in new dance, dance-theater, Contact Improvisation, Butoh,
Body-Mind Centering®, Yoga and Feldenkrais. Her work has been shown
throughout the U.S., Canada, Argentina and in Berlin, Tokyo, Beirut,
Bethlehem, Mexico City, and Quito. Bindler holds a B.A. in Dance and Poetry
from Hampshire College, a degree in Muscular Therapy from the Muscular
Therapy Institute, and certificates in Embodied Anatomy Yoga, Embodied
Developmental Movement and Yoga, Somatic Movement Education, and
Practitioner of Body-Mind Centering from the School for Body-Mind
Centering. She has taught dance, somatics and contact improvisation
throughout the U.S., Argentina, and at Contact Festival Freiburg, Germany.
She has also taught at University of Pennsylvania, University of the Arts,
Temple University, Drexel University, the Massage Arts Center, several Yoga
teacher trainings, and at The Whole Shebang in Philly.
http://www.nicolebindler.com/

Best and most,
-Nicole

--
*Bindler <http://www.nicolebindler.com/>*

The Institute for Somatics and Social Justice
<https://www.facebook.com/TheInstituteforSomaticsandSocialJustice/?ref=bookmarks>