[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Reflexes and Contact Improvisation with Nicole Bindler this Saturday

The Whole Shebang art.at.shebang at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 13:27:54 EDT 2017

This *Saturday April 22 11am-2pm*, come explore your reflexes and their
relationship to contact improvisation with Nicole Bindler....

*Embodied Anatomy: Reflexes and Contact Improvisation*
*with Nicole Bindler*
in advance: $15 artists/$18 general | door: $18 artists/$20 general
at The Whole Shebang
1813 S 11th Street, rear
pre-register at thewholeshebangphilly.com

*more about the workshop: *

The reflexes (over 300 of them!) are automatic responses to sensory
stimulation that arise and integrate throughout the early months and years
of our lives. They enable us to relate to gravity, space and others.
Embedded in the reflexes is important information about why we move as we
do, and opportunities to broaden our potential for different kinds of

Through practicing the reflexes, we remember the alphabet of our movement,
uncover potential causes for longstanding pain and learn more beautiful
ways to fall. In these classes we will learn a few of the reflex patterns
and practice them through hands-on exploration and dancing together.

*about Nicole:*

Nicole Bindler is a body-based performing artist whose work has been shown
throughout the U.S., Canada, Argentina, and in Berlin, Tokyo, Beirut,
Bethlehem, Mexico City, and Quito. Her dances have been supported by the
Pew Center for Arts and Heritage, Leeway Foundation, Puffin Foundation,
Foundation for Contemporary Arts, Pennsylvania Council on the Arts and the
Ellen Foreman Memorial Award.

She holds a B.A. in Dance and Poetry from Hampshire College, a degree in
Muscular Therapy from the Muscular Therapy Institute and holds certificates
in Embodied Anatomy Yoga, Embodied Developmental Movement and Yoga, Somatic
Movement Education, and Practitioner of Body-Mind Centering® from the
School for Body-Mind Centering.

She has taught Improvisation, Somatics, and Yoga in the Dance departments
at Temple University and University of the Arts, and in the theater
department at the University of Pennsylvania. Her writing has been
published in Critical Correspondence, Contact Quarterly, "Emergency Index"
by Ugly Duckling Presse, Jewish Currents, BMC® Currents, Curate This, and
thINKingDANCE. Bindler is a proud member of the Jewish Voice for Peace
Artist Council. www.nicolebindler.com