[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] class with Shannon Murphy this Friday - ONLY 2 MORE

The Whole Shebang art.at.shebang at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 14:30:25 EST 2017

Dancing Dynamically, Autonomously with Shannon Murphy
Fridays 10am-12pm through February 3
$12 artists + students/$15 general

more info: http://www.thewholeshebangphilly.com/take-classes/shannon

...grab space, move fully, find subtle detail and sequence, fall, suspend,
take apart, and organize....

*About the class: *

This is a dance class in the contemporary sense. It's content is curated by
my research and practice in Franklin Method, and contemporary jazz and
modern techniques. The application of this class is a practice for me as
well. I will guide you through lots of learned phrase material but
encourage each individual to self govern. *What does that mean?* Well, I
imagine a world in which contemporary dance techniques can be studied with
the individual at the center... Where you have time to listen to the
desires of your body while trying on my vocabulary. I want to study how we
listen to our internal dynamics and choose to participate in organizing our
body around someone else's movement patterns. This class is advanced in its
sequencing and challenges participants to multitask, increasing the
sensitivity of their internal rhythms while feeling the organization
process of big weight shifts, moving in and out of the floor and acute
redirection of the body in space. I like to get sweaty, exhaust the
physical and sensorial self, and train with effort an efficiently dynamic
self.

*About Shannon:*

Shannon Murphy is a dancer, choreographer and teaching artist and is a
co-director of idiosynCrazy productions alongside founder, Jumatatu Poe.
Her choreography has been shown throughout Philadelphia, at various
festivals in the United States and in Paris, France. She was 2010's New
Edge Resident in Dance at the CEC and a FringeArts (then called Live Arts)
2012-13 Lab fellow. Shannon has danced with Dance Theater X, Group Motion
Dance Company, Kosoko Performance Group, Nichole Canuso Dance
Company, SCRAP Performance Group, and with choreographers Peggy
Baker, Robert Battle, and Wally Cardona.

She has a BA from Point Park University in Pittsburgh and is of the first
Franklin Method Educators to graduate in the United States. While in
Pittsburgh, she was on faculty at Pittsburgh Ballet Theater and Point Park
University. Since moving to Philadelphia, she has been teaching young
dancers at Koresh School of Dance since 2007 and a guest teacher at Drexel
University, Swarthmore College, Temple University, and Villanova
University. Currently, she is on faculty at Bryn Mawr College and
 University of the Arts.