[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Contact Improv class is Partnering Mechanics and Sensitivity for Sundays 1-3pm 1/22, 1/29, & 2/5

Loren Groenendaal lorengroenendaal at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 15:21:53 EST 2017

Dear Philadelphia dancers,

I will be teaching contact improvisation class for the next 3 weeks in such
a manner that may be of interest to the broader moving community. I will be
focusing on the mechanics of the contact point and the movement that is
possible there. I will be teaching some specific skills that can be
supportive of non-improvised partnering. I will also be aiming to offer
these skills on principles on different levels (in space and skill), so if
you are more of beginner in partnering or more advanced, I hope to engage
all levels. Read more below to learn about this special offering in this
ongoing class.

Best,
Loren

---

*Connections/Joints for Mobility/Stability* taught by Loren Groenendaal
Sundays January 22, 29, and February 5, 2017
1 to 3 PM, every Sunday (with rotating teachers)
Headlong Studios, 1170 S. Broad St. (near Broad/Federal SEPTA stop)
$10 drop-in
Please arrive in time to dress and be ready to go at 1

*Class Description*
*Connections/Joints for Mobility/Stability*
In contact improvisation, two bodies come together to create a point of
contact or touch. This place of connection very similar to the synovial
joints of the musculoskeletal system that allow us to move. In these
classes, we will learn about the organic mechanics of the joints in our own
body and apply that knowledge to best articulate the connections (joints)
we make with other bodies. For these different kinds of moving connections,
I will provide different options for dancers interested in working on
different skill and risk levels (literally, height levels and degrees of
weight too), so that beginners and more advanced dancers can be engaged in
similar articulations and principles. We will work primarily with rolling
and sliding for mutual movement, but we may include some pushing and
pulling. We will work on using and articulating various surfaces of our
body to be more flat or curved (concave or convex) to facilitate these
possibilities for movement. In addition to finding movement possibility, we
will work on finding stability in that movement and stability in a
connection for lifts and other more static connections. This class will be
more technically grounded, but I will provide some time for more open
dancing to explore articulation in a more open and creative context.

*Instructor Bio:*
*Loren Groenendaal* is a Philadelphia-based dance artist and educator,
specializing in contact improvisation (CI), contemporary/modern dance,
Balinese dance, the Laban/Bartenieff Movement System (LBMS), and creative
dance.  In addition to dancing CI for 16 years, Loren has been teaching CI
since 2009 in adult communities of Philadelphia, Boston, and Baltimore as
well as a guest at Arcadia University, Juniata College, Towson University,
University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG). She has been improvising
her entire life, but her formal studies in contact improvisation began at
Oberlin College with Ann Cooper Albright in the very same room where Steve
Paxton developed "Magnesium" which is considered to be the seminal work of
contact improvisation. She holds an MFA in Choreography from the UNCG,
where she continued her CI studies with John Gamble. Other influential
teachers of CI, somatics, and partnering include Chris Aiken, Nicole
Bindler, David Brick, Simone Forti, Anna Halprin, Angie Hauser, Curt
Haworth, KJ Holmes, Ishmael Houston Jones, Cyrus Khambatta, Sharon Mansur,
Yvonne Meier, Karen Nelson, Cheryl Pallant, Margaret Paek, Kirstie Simpson,
and Nancy Stark Smith. She is a Certified Movement Analyst from the
Laban/Bartenieff Institute of Movement Studies. Loren is the artistic
director of contemporary dance company, Vervet Dance
<http://www.vervetdance.org/>, through which she has made dances based in
contact improvisation. She also dances with Swarthmore College's Balinese
Gamelan Semara Santi, Katherine Kiefer Stark's The Naked Stark
<http://thenakedstark.com/>, a release based contemporary dance company,
Jenny Roe Sawyer's From the Earth Dance Project
<http://jroesawyer.blogspot.com/>for site specific, nature inspired dance,
and Graffito Works <http://graffitoworks.com/>, a site-specific
improvisational ensemble. She is a founding member of the Mascher Space
Cooperative <http://mascherdance.com/> and Impermanent Society of
Philadelphia <http://www.impermanentsociety.com/>. She currently
co-organizes a weekly CI jam, seasonal Underscore, and monthly H-O-T
Series, which showcases improvisational dance and music, all in
Philadelphia.

​Photo by JH Kertis of Loren Groenendaal and Nathan Dawley in Vervet
Dance's *Presence of Mass.*