[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Coming Together + Release & Restoration Session with Lela Aisha Jones

The Whole Shebang art.at.shebang at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 13:28:12 EST 2017

Coming Together  + Release & Restoration Session with Lela Aisha Jones

Saturday January 14 11am-1:30pm

$15 general/$10 artists + activists - no one will be turned away (contact
art.at.shebang at gmail.com)

for more info and to pre-register:
http://www.thewholeshebangphilly.com/take-classes/coming-together-release-restoration-session

*Jewish Voice for Peace - Philly* <http://www.jvpphilly.org/>* and The
Whole Shebang are thrilled to host Lela Aisha Jones of Dancing For Justice
Philly / FlyGround for a movement class and discussion. No movement
experience necessary. Beginners welcome.*

11am - greetings

11:15am-12:45pm - class

12:45-1:30pm - discussion with JVP - Philly

FlyGround’s Dancing for Justice Philadelphia Initiative or DFJ Philly |
FlyGround will provide a *Coming Together + Release & Restoration Session* to
individually and collectively process the state of our U.S. racial
relations and the continuum of violence as an answer to difference in our
societal interactions. We will also utilize movement as a socially
immersive foundation geared towards bringing cultural consciousness,
release, and restoration. The session will be taught by Lela Aisha Jones.

*FlyGround* is the creative home for the artistic work of Lela Aisha Jones
and a multi-initiative platform that also houses Dancing for Justice
Philadelphia and The Requisite Movers. FlyGround gathers artists,
educators, researchers, organizers, activists, and advocates to provide
intimate movement-based spaces invested in cultivating a society with more
nurtured, insightful, and harmonized human beings.  We specialize in
experiences that feel homegrown over generations and alive in the body with
a contemporary pulse.  We prioritize archiving diasporic narratives and
movement, bringing nuance and imaginative vibrancy to dialogues concerning
lived experiences of blackness.

*Lela Aisha Jones* is a native of Tallahassee, FL who resides in
Philadelphia, PA. She is the founder of FlyGround, her creative home, where
she cultivates her diasporic movement practice and artistry. She is the
lead centralizer/organizer for the Dancing for Justice Philadelphia
initiative and co-founder (with Deneane Richburg) of The Requisite Movers.
Lela defines herself as a movement artist and a catalyst dedicated to
creating transformative spaces through education, media, performance, and
restorative activism.

*Artistic Statement:* I create living movement histories that lusciously
archive, re-imagine, and cultivate diasporic lineages of angst and delight
in the body to multiply the stories of blackness. I dance and make dances
that expose and question human/woman/black/nomadic realities and
potentialities. I move coherently through cultures and traditions, meeting
where I can, and realizing where I vary.  I am grounded in homegrown U.S.
vibes.  I am traces of many.  I am consciously here.

more info: www.flygroundera.com

Please note: The Whole Shebang is not wheelchair accessible.