[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Mascher presents Fresh Juice next weekend

Christina Gesualdi gesualdic at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:38:21 EDT 2016

Mascher Space Cooperative presents its artists in residence in Fresh Juice.

We've got the juicer ready (yes you will be served actual fresh juice!) and
our artists in residence have been working on the juiciest damn performance
in town.

Fresh Juice

November 11th 8PM

November 12th 4 & 8PM (with activities in between!)

General $15; Unemployed/Student/Senior $10

Purchase tickets online at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2696647

Refreshing work by:

Shannon Murphy

Brendan Tetsuo

Vervet Dance/ Loren Groenendaal

Sara Yassky
*with interstitial performance by The Dance Apocalypse*

SIGN UP NOW for Post-Dating sessions with The Dance Apocalypse Saturday
6pm-8pm, , email nicolebindler at gmail.com to reserve your 10 minute spot

at Mascher Space Cooperative

155 Cecil B. Moore Ave., #2R,  Phila., Pa. 19122

* Unfortunately, Mascher Space Co-op is not handicapped accessible.

We were going to have the audience for this year's Fresh Juice sitting 360
degrees around our dances. BUT we decided to have you face our work head on
instead. Though you'll be a united front from the front, please allow your
perception to envelop us. You'll imbibe two solos, a duet, and an ensemble
work. You'll imbibe very specific approaches to vulnerability. Our work
demands a witnessing of bodies - our bodies, our dancers' bodies, their
pluralism. Experience our flesh, our sensory organs, our lungs, our tears,
and our histories.

Each of our bodies locates itself distinctly in our individual dance-making
trajectories, yet we share a home for our dance at Mascher Space
Cooperative.

Read the descriptions of our work below:

SHANNON MURPHY'S "Hot Air" is a dance made from unearthing rage and desire.
The all female cast arrived at a practice of performance that includes both
visceral embodiment and the dynamics of power, safety, and destruction.

BRENDAN TETSUO's "Walk to Topaz" is a solo that begins with a reimagining
of a young person's walk into a Japanese Internment Camp. It ripples
outward exploring how this event impacts the lives of the succeeding
generations, as they try to comprehend the weight of this experience on
their existence and identity.

VERVET DANCE's 'With the Round is a dance/music collaboration for two
dancers (Loren Groenendaal and Nathan Dawley), one hoop, and one musician
(pianist Melinda Faylor).  The performance is a structured improvisation
strongly based in contact improvisation principles that considers
perception in relationship and what it means to perform contact improv with
an object, specifically a round one?

SARA YASSKY's "Wet Eyes: Lecture Demonstration (Version 1)" explores the
possibilities of sharing and generating what is often deemed as private
affects in public space.  It deals with the complicated systems and
structures that keep us emotionally sovereign, isolated, and stigmatized.
Heavily influenced by affect theory, psychodynamic theory, and politicized
somatics this lecture performance pushes against the social constructs of
what can be exchanged with one another.

Interstitial Happening:

THE DANCE APOCALYPSE (NICOLE BINDLER and GABRIELLE REVLOCK) will offer 10
minute Post-Dating sessions for one or two people at a time in an offstage
area of Mascher. You can come early or stay late for the Saturday shows
(between 6-8pm) to receive free expert advice. Post-Dating will help you
interpret and skillfully respond to any post-date message you receive based
on your goals for your relationship(s). Longterm relationship support
available too! Modalities and methodologies include puppet therapy,
meditation, free writing, and embodying your family of origin through song
and dance. To schedule your 10 minute appointment email
nicolebindler at gmail.com