[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Creating Immersive Worlds (with Applied Mechanics)

Thomas IsTitanic thomasistitanic at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 14:21:33 EDT 2016

CREATING IMMERSIVE WORLDS WORKSHOP

with "Philadelphia's most unusual theater company"

Applied Mechanics is the only company in Philadelphia making immersive,
parallel-narrative performance. This introductory course in our signature
immersive form invites you to explore our artistic methods. Experience how
we create fictional worlds and tell parallel stories while negotiating the
relationship between sound, movement, text and space. What changes when the
performer and audience member are put in direct contact? Learn creative
ways to negotiate and mine that relationship. This workshop of two
five-hour days will teach participants to transform the raw material of
themes and concepts into embodied worlds, practice creative dramaturgy, and
develop artistic prompts to create systemic, evocative, and often
surprising connections. Maintaining Applied Mechanics’ rehearsal practice,
each day will include a shared, home-cooked meal.

Sign up required in advance. Space is limited.

This workshop is for makers, artists, designers of any discipline.

WORKSHOP DATES:
Saturday, November 5th. 10:00am-4:00pm and
Sunday, November 6th. 10:00am-4:00pm.
Attendees must be able to attend BOTH dates.

COST: $100

LOCATION: South Philly. Email for details or visit our website
appliedmechanics.us

SIGN UP: Email Michael Osinski at appliedmechsmike at gmail.com

ABOUT APPLIED MECHANICS
Applied Mechanics makes plays that you can walk through, with immersive
sets that you are invited to explore. Many stories unfold simultaneously
and each audience member is free to choose how to watch them.   Whether you
rummage through a character’s suitcase, eavesdrop on a conversation, or
read the writing on the wall, no two people see the same show.  We build
alternative worlds, in intricate full-surround detail, and invite you into
them. Our process is highly collaborative and based on a commitment to
organizational and artistic innovation. We are inspired by dioramas, theme
parties, choose-your-own adventure books, zines, feminism, collectivity,
and social justice movements. Our recent productions include *FEED*, hit of
the 2016 Fringe Festival and *We Are Bandits*, inspired by the actions of
Pussy Riot.