[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Reemergence: intentionality in the aftertine

Nicole Bindler nicolebindler at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 16:53:33 EST 2021

*Reemergence: intentionality in the aftertine*
Saturdays in January, 12:30-2:00pm

This five week series <https://www.facebook.com/events/809991132883317/>
will explore strategies for moving together in the flesh with ease,
respect, and generosity when it is safe to do so. The material will be
cumulative but drop-ins are welcome. During this dark northern hemisphere
winter in January we will spend Saturdays on Zoom dreaming, scheming, and
moving together. We will imagine our near future and prepare contingency
plans for challenges we might face in our communities post-isolation. How
can we apply knowledge from consent practices to the experience of moving
back into partner dance spaces? How can we use polyvagal theory as a lens
for addressing the individual and collective trauma many of us have
endured? How can we interrogate our assumptions about the universality of
experiences during this time when the pandemic has impacted us unevenly and
unfairly? How can we rebuild dance and somatics communities in a way that
tangibly addresses these inequities? As movement practitioners we have a
particular set of tools and expertise to share with the world in relation
to our reemergence from this pandemic-year. These classes will offer a
container for collaboration and will enable participants to contribute to a
written document (if they choose) that will arise from our time together
researching these ideas through embodied practices.

Nicole Bindler is a Philadelphia-based dance-maker, Body-Mind Centering®
practitioner, educator, writer, and activist. Her performance work and
teaching have been presented at festivals, conferences, and intensives
throughout the U.S., Canada, Argentina, and Europe, and in Tokyo, Beirut,
Bethlehem, Mexico City, and Quito. Her current projects include teaching
about consent culture and disability justice in contact improvisation;
somatic research on the embryology of the genitalia from a non-binary
perspective; and collaborations with Diyar Theatre in Bethlehem, Palestine.
She has recently organized with Jewish Voice for Peace-Philadelphia and as
a member of Earthdance’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee. Her
writing on dance, somatics, and politics has been published in Critical
Correspondence, Contact Quarterly, Emergency Index by Ugly Duckling Presse,
Jewish Currents, BMC® Currents, Curate This, Journal of Dance & Somatic
Practices, Somatics Toolkit, American Jewish Studies Perspectives, and
thINKingDANCE.

Class is $1-35+ (no one turned away for lack of funds). If you would like
to sponsor a person to take class, simply double your payment!
Venmo: @nicole-bindler
PayPal: nicolebindler at gmail.com

Zoom link: zoom.us/j/3093774924
Zoom password: 640262