[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] A Philadelphia Sharing / Thanksgiving for Nancy Stark Smith Sun 5/17 1PM

Loren Groenendaal lorengroenendaal at gmail.com
Mon May 11 17:40:02 EDT 2020

Dear Philadelphia Dance Community,

If you haven't heard, I am sorry to inform you that our beloved Nancy Stark
Smith passed away on Friday, May 1. She was the co-founder and committed
teacher, writer, and researcher of Contact Improvisation, co-editor of
Contact Quarterly, developer of the Underscore, and a mentor, role model,
and friend to many.

In the absence of being able to convene in person to share physical space
and contact, we are inviting you to join us in streaming our gratitude for
Nancy's life and work over Zoom with a Sharing and Thanksgiving (similar to
the the last phase/glyph of the Underscore). If you would like to remember,
grieve, honor, celebrate, or learn about Nancy in community, we hope you
will attend.

A Philadelphia Sharing / Thanksgiving for Nancy Stark Smith
Sunday, May 17, 2020 1:00 - 3:00 PM EDT
Wherever you are- meet on Zoom
Register in advance for this Zoom meeting:
https://muhlenberg.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMpcemoqDsvG9A3lM8ROMvhjMDpNN6ngrIh
https://www.facebook.com/events/2816718975112748/
Digital arriving starts at 12:50 PM in the Zoom room.

This event is free, but Contact Quarterly is accepting donations in her
name:
https://contactquarterly.com/donate/index.php

We can give thanks and share our experiences with her or her work. We can
grieve, listen, and move together in her honor across digital/virtual
space. We will be streaming gratitude.

All are welcome who feel a connection to Nancy Stark Smith or her work, and
who feel connected to the greater Philadelphia area either presently or
previously. Again, please register in advance.

More information on her life and death are in 3 articles below and a link
to a page on Facebook to share remembrances.

Loren Groenendaal, Jenny Sawyer, and Julia Wallace will be facilitating
this afternoon experience. We hope to connect with you soon.

With love, sorrow, and gratitude,
Jenny, Julia, Loren and the other CI Philly facilitators

*---*

Nancy Stark Smith Harvest - a Facebook public group for sharing memories
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253550916049874/

Here is the obituary in the New York Times that unfortunately doesn't
realize how much she liked "Stark" in her name:
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nytimes/obituary.aspx?n=nancy-smith&pid=196135497

>From in the Daily Hampshire Gazette, not far from her home town:
https://www.gazettenet.com/-She-brought-so-many-people-together--Nancy-Stark-Smith-leading-figure-in-the-contemporary-dance-form-of-Contact-Improvisation-dies-at-68-34204194

A remembrance in Dance Magazine: