[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Franklin Method and Dance classes with Shannon Murphy start tomorrow 1/4!

shannon murphy murphy.moves at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 16:05:11 EST 2020

MVMNT<source>2020
Join Shannon Murphy and her collaborators for 6 days of dance, Franklin
Method and creative practice. *All proceeds from the intensive will go
towards performance fees for their upcoming show this spring.*

*Sat, Jan 4 - Thu, Jan 9*
Morning class: Franklin Method, 10-12 pm
Afternoon class: Dance, Engaging Sensation, 12:30-2:30 pm

*Sat, Jan 4 + Sun, Jan 5*
Evening workshop: Studying the Gut Tube in Collective Practice, 5-8 pm

All classes are held at The Whole Shebang
1813 S 11th St, Rear, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19148
The studio is not ADA compliant. You must climb a staircase to enter the
dance studio.

Daily classes:
$12 artists/$15 general
All classes for $120 (breaks down to $10 per class)
Single-day pass $25 (morning and afternoon only)

Sat and Sun evening workshops:
$25 one day / $40 for both

Want to attend everything? $150

Reserve your place today. Space is limited
Payments can be cash or by Paypal/ Venmo @Shannon-Murphy-136
Email murphy.moves at gmail.com for more information.

Class: Franklin Method
This drop-in class puts into practice the most foundational aspect of
Franklin Method: Art of Change. It proposes ways for movers of any skill
level or genera to find themselves at the center of small changes that lead
to better balance, strength, and flexibility as well as an increased sense
of dynamic alignment. The class is organized for each participant to notice
where they are and apply imagery to their movement as a way to investigate
nuanced changes in sensation and effort. We will learn topographical
anatomy and acknowledge ourselves as a tensile dynamic structure and apply
it to movement. How will this allow us to refine and enhance our
foundation? We often use Franklin Balls and Bands to release tension and
train with increased sensation.

*If you have Franklin Balls, please bring them with you. If not, you can
borrow or buy them in class. Balls are $25, band is $15

Class: Dance, Engaging Sensation
is a place for bold curiosity of our self in motion. Including activities
ranging from proprioceptive warm-ups to sequentially inverted phrases,
Shannon prepares this class with the needs of a professional dancer in
mind. She prioritizes sensation as a way to research quality, function, and
form and offers suggestions that can lead to deep investigation inside of
improvisational and guided phrase work. She believes in training for a
responsive body to support the dynamics of falling off of vertical,
redirection. and complex coordination practices. As a Franklin Method
educator, she has been researching how to use imagery and functional
anatomy as tools to invite participants to immerse themselves in
inter-personal investigations in class - deepening one’s experience of self
as a way to dance with others. This class is proposing a dance practice
that brings pleasure into play; a serious sort of play that requires acute
attention to the sensation of the dances that we do.

Workshop: Studying the Gut Tube in collective practice
For many years now my research has been looking at the pedagogical
applications of biomimetics, most specifically the alimentary canal, aka
gut tube, as an example for collaborative practices. Collaboration between
the organs, bacteria, and glands of the digestive tract demonstrates a
collective choreography; one that moves us to provide nutrition and
sustenance. Together we will prioritize improvisation and share our
interests and reflections on what an enterically lead movement practice
reveals to us. Expect a rigorous questioning both physical and imaginative,
meditation and improvisational movement, and snacks.

For more information about Shannon's work visit
https://www.shannonmurphydance.com/classes-and-workshops

for updates:
https://www.facebook.com/events/592230744861288/?event_time_id=592230751527954

--