[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] MVMNT source January 2020 with Shannon Murphy Classes Start Jan 4

The Whole Shebang art.at.shebang at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 10:27:39 EST 2019

Saturday, Jan 4 - Thursday, Jan 9

Morning class: Franklin Method, 10-12pm
Afternoon class: Dance, Engaging Sensation, 12:30-2:30pm

Saturday, Jan 4 + Sunday, Jan 5
Evening workshop: Studying the Gut Tube in collective practice, 5-8pm

Daily classes:
$12 artists/$15 general
All classes for $120 (breaks down to $10 per class)
Single day pass $25 (morning and afternoon only)

Sat and Sun evening workshops:
$25 one day / $40 for both

*payment taken at the door cash or via paypal/venmo
@Shannon-Murphy-136Email murphy.moves at gmail.com <murphy.moves at gmail.com>
for more information*

*Class: Franklin Method*
This drop in class puts into practice the most foundational aspect of
Franklin Method: Art of Change. It proposes ways for movers of any skill
level or genera to find themselves at the center of small changes that lead
to better balance, strength and flexibility as well as an increased sense
of dynamic alignment. The class is organized for each participant to notice
where they are and apply imagery to their movement as a way to investigate
nuanced changes in sensation and effort.  We will learn topographical
anatomy and acknowledge ourselves as a tensile dynamic structure and apply
it to movement. How will this allow us to refine and enhance our
foundation? We often use Franklin Balls and Bands to release tension and
train with increased sensation.

*If you have Franklin Balls, please bring them with you. If not, you can
borrow or buy them in class. Balls are $25, band is $15

*Class: Dance, Engaging Sensation *
is a place for bold curiosity of our self in motion. Including activities
ranging from proprioceptive warm-ups to sequentially inverted phrases,
Shannon prepares this class with the needs of a professional dancer in
mind. She prioritizes sensation as a way to research quality, function and
form and offers suggestions that can lead to deep investigation inside of
improvisational and guided phrase work. She believes in training for a
responsive body to support the dynamics of falling off of vertical,
redirection. and complex coordination practices.  As a Franklin Method
educator she has been researching how to use imagery and functional anatomy
as tools to invite participants to immerse themselves in inter-personal
investigations in class - deepening one’s experience of self as a way to
dance with others . This class is proposing a dance practice that brings
pleasure into play; a serious sort of play that requires acute attention to
the sensation of the dances that we do.

*Workshop: Studying the Gut Tube in collective practice*
For many years now my research has been looking at the pedagogical
applications of biomimetics, most specifically the alimentary canal, aka
gut tube, as an example for collaborative practices. Collaboration between
the organs, bacteria, and glands of the digestive tract demonstrates a
collective choreography; one that moves us to provide nutrition and
sustenance. Together we will prioritize improvisation and share our
interests and reflections on what an enterically lead movement practice
reveals to us. Expect a rigorous questioning both physical and imaginative,
meditation and improvisational movement, and snacks.

text or call: 267 422 2719