[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Get What You Need Announcement - and come share work this Sunday

zornitsa at herebegindance.com zornitsa at herebegindance.com
Tue Oct 29 11:00:24 EDT 2019

Dear dance community,

I am happy to say that the panel of 8 prominent philadelphia artists and
organizers reviewed 19 applications for the Get What You Need residency.

Everyone's project was amazing and I wish we can all find ways to elevate
each other into producing all this work.  Unfortunately we had to choose two
people who's vision and plan for the GWYN residency was the most clear and
possible.

I am happy to announce that our two GWYN residents are Mira Treatman and
Janna Meiring.

Do You want to come share work on Nov. 3rd with Mira and Janna?

*	May be you have an idea you want to try out, or a project you'd like
to talk about, or want to re-visit your artist statement, or just show an
excerpt of an old piece.
*	ANYTHING connected to your artistic life is welcome.  Amy Smith and
me will be there as resources and of course you will share the space with
Mira and Janna.
*	Everyone will have about 30 min to share.
*	Just email me back at zornitsa at herebegindance.com
<mailto:zornitsa at herebegindance.com>  - first come first serve.

WHEN:
Sunday Nov. 3rd at 11am  (yes its early, but we are trying to stay as far
away from the general performance schedule as possible)

WHERE:
The Beard Cave,  at ST. MARY'S CHURCH, 3916 LOCUST Walk, Philadelphia, PA -
Home of The Bearded Ladies Cabaret.

FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

Do you want to come and see how the magic happens? Do you want to be there
at the inception of something truly amazing? You might want to even help
shape it. Come be part of the making of these awesome performances.

Here is what Janna and Mira say about their work:

Janna:

"I am married to a Puerto Rican who could barely speak a few words of
English when we met 10 years ago. Now my wife is fluent in English, and I
can sputter only a few loving sentiments in Spanish. Not only is this a
personal pain point (and deeply embarrassing), this is a serious problem
that Americans have -we resist the notion that we aren't the only ones in
the world. I believe this world view has been internalized and sewn into the
body. This piece is a vehicle to finally learn Spanish through part
documentary, part somatic-movement-multi-disciplinary performance. I will
explore the resistance, the embarrassment, the science and the underlying
racism that perpetuates my mono-lingual nature, and I'll do it.I'll learn
Spanish."

Mira:

"I seek to destroy the social-choreographic divide. Using nursery rhymes and
familiar songs as a point of departure, I will work with a cast mixed of
professional performers, dedicated dance audience members, and social
instigators ranging in age from 22 to 60 to complete a project I started
about two years ago. "Supernatural Displays of Yearning," is a collaborative
exploration into grief, trauma, and desire."

GWYNRes program is almost entirely created by donated space and time. It is
made possible by the generous support of The Fidget Space, The Art Room, 954
Dance Movement Collective, Cardell Dance Studio, Community Education Center,
The Beard Cave and
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2FPhiladelphiaDANCE.org%2F%3Ffbcl
id%3DIwAR04rI-c-7q2RJwd4OYpwoa75et8sGB0db2QzMKL6RPsgq-rrluSfjprvJ0&h=AT2YrP9
NcQbeElqoBXeKBzexqF0KhFWv_Yj_-FZiOr2x79KiSuMOv4C9-3oifS54clRm556uy6fIEa5fcFQ
yDiYfobJ5kf42c2CrnC-JMpWz9cYuF5yE9e_i_wK4zrLBqQ> PhiladelphiaDANCE.org.