[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Adult Modern on Tuesday, Underscore on Saturday, Creative Movement for kids W and F

Loren Groenendaal lorengroenendaal at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 10:17:53 EST 2019

Hello Philadelphia Dancers,

You are invited to join me in two adult dancing opportunities this week. I
am also offering two drop-in opportunities for kids to engage in Creative
Movement.
See below!

CONTEMPORARY MODERN DANCE FOR ADULTS
Tuesdays 6:30-8:00pm
Winter Session is January 8- February 26, 2018
No winter class on 1/22 or 2/19. Spring will resume on 3/19.
Drop-in: $10-20
University City Arts League, 4226 Spruce St. Philadelphia, PA 19104, 3rd
floor rear dance studio (walk-up)
More info: https://adult-contemporary-winter19-tues-west.eventbrite.com
Invite your friends: https://www.facebook.com/events/2217675525173371
Questions: Email LorenTeachesMovement at gmail.com

This unique contemporary modern dance class is both creative and somatic.
Each class includes technical skills and creative opportunities. Imagery
and anatomical cues propel our movement and understanding of our bodies.
The movement vocabulary comes from teacher Loren Groenendaal's
choreographic interests connected to her work with Vervet Dance. The
movement is contemporary with influences from Modern Dance, Release
Technique, Bartenieff Fundamentals, Developmental Movement, Laban Movement
Analysis, and sometimes Hip Hop and classical Balinese Dance. This class
provides opportunities for understanding of your body, building
coordination, harnessing your strength, moving more ease-fully, learning
movement from others, and exploring one's own movement signature and
interests. This particular session is exploring water with February 12 and
26 focused on the tidal rivers in Philadelphia where salty water mixes with
fresh water and water flows in predictable and surprising directions.

This class often includes working on the floor, and it is recommended to
wear clothes that cover shoulders and knees for comfort while moving. This
class is geared towards adults, but teens with dance training and focus may
join. This class is open to all genders.

UNDERSCORE
Saturday, February 16, 2019 4-7pm
Mascher Space Cooperative, 155 Cecil B. Moore Ave Philadelphia, PA 19125
$5-$15 sliding scale. Pay cash, check, or paypal at event
https://www.facebook.com/events/1360486910756795/

The Underscore Practice is a simple and beautiful structure for a focused
jam-like practice developed by Nancy Stark Smith. The structure is a
precise, but open platform for investigation of contact improvisation and
solo and group improvised composition. The score is an organic
developmental nonverbal sequence that provides focus to the dancing
community and opens up possibilities for movement, awareness, connection,
and various physical/mental states. We commit to participating in the
entire score.

A prior talk through is required for participation. A talk through will
likely be held 2:30-3:30pm at a nearby cafe on Sat 2/16/19, but exact time
and place is still TBD. RSVP for Talk Through by emailing
LorenTeachesMovement at gmail.com.

And, if you have kids, they can drop in to the following classes:

CREATIVE MOVEMENT for ages 3-5 in FISHTOWN
Wednesdays 5:15-6pm
Drop-in ok on 2/13 or 2/27. Spring resumes 3/20/19.
at Philadelphia Argentine Tango School, 2030 Frankford Ave.
https://www.philadelphiatangoschool.com/
https://creativemove-winter19-wed-fish.eventbrite.com/

CREATIVE MOVEMENT for ages 2-5 in WEST PHILLY
Fridays 5:45-6:30pm
Drop-in ok on 2/15/19. Spring resumes 3/22/19.
at University City Arts League, 4226 Spruce St.
http://www.ucartsleague.org/
https://creativemove-winter2019-fri-west.eventbrite.com/

Be in touch with any questions through LorenGroenendaal at gmail.com or
LorenTeachesMovement at gmail.com.

Happy dancing,
Loren

*Loren Groenendaal*
MFA in Choreography
BA in Dance and Visual Arts
Certified Movement Analyst
Freelance Teaching Artist as Loren Teaches Movement
<https://www.lorenteachesmovement.com/>
Founding Artistic Director of Vervet Dance <http://www.vervetdance.org/>
Founding Member, Curator of Impermanent Society of Philadelphia
<http://www.impermanentsociety.com/>
Founding Member, Board Member, Artist in Residence of Mascher Space
Cooperative <http://mascherdance.com/>

Accepting secure tax deductible donations to Vervet Dance through Fractured
Atlas
<https://www.fracturedatlas.org/site/fiscal/profile?id=8174#about_project> to
support our ongoing expenses and upcoming projects.