[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Contemporary Modern Dance continues Tuesdays 12/4 and 12/11 and in 2019

Loren Groenendaal lorengroenendaal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 23:01:03 EST 2018

Hello dancers,

You have just 2 more chances in 2018 to catch my Tuesday evening Adult
Contemporary Modern Dance class. In this Fall 2 session, we are focusing on
moving like water and using our internal fluids and organ contents to motor
our movement with Breath Support. This session allows for drop-ins. There
is a performance opportunity for interested class participants at the
University City Arts League Block Party on Friday, December 14 evening.

More information follows below.

I hope to see you in the dancing,
Loren

Basic Info:

Contemporary Modern Dance for Adults
Tuesdays 6:30-8:00pm
Fall 2 Session is November 13-December 11, 2018
University City Arts League, 4226 Spruce St. Philadelphia, PA 19104, 3rd
floor rear dance studio
More info: https://adult-contemporary-fall218-tues-west.eventbrite.com
Invite your friends: https://www.facebook.com/events/1921599231469936
Drop-in: $10-20
Questions: Email LorenTeachesMovement at gmail.com

Class Description:

This unique Contemporary dance class is both creative and somatic. Each
class includes technical skills and creative opportunities. Imagery and
anatomical cues propel our movement and understanding of our bodies. The
movement vocabulary comes from teacher Loren Groenendaal's choreographic
interests connected to her work with Vervet Dance. The movement is
contemporary with influences from Modern Dance, Release Technique,
Bartenieff Fundamentals, Developmental Movement, Laban Movement Analysis,
and sometimes Hip Hop and classical Balinese Dance. This class provides
opportunities for understanding of your body, building coordination,
harnessing your strength, moving more ease-fully, learning movement from
others, and exploring one's own movement signature and interests

This class often includes working on the floor, and it is recommended to
wear clothes that cover shoulders and knees for comfort while moving. This
class is geared towards adults, but teens with dance training and focus may
join. This class is open to all genders.

In this Fall 2 Session we will focus on finding internal motors for our
movement (breath, fluids, organs) and moving like water and moving with our
water and watery forces for movement that is organic and smooth, but also
surprising and dynamic.

This one and half hour class happens Tuesdays 6:30-8:00pm from November 13
to December 11 for this Fall 2 session running for 5 weeks. There is a
performance opportunity on Friday, December 14 for frequent class
participants. We will have a winter break and then continue with the Winter
session, starting on January 8.

Teacher Bio:

Loren Groenendaal is a professional dancer, choreographer, and educator
based in Philadelphia, working with her own company, Vervet Dance. As a
teacher, she has taught all ages, focusing on creative movement for
children and Modern Dance for teens and adults. She holds a BA in Dance and
Visual Arts from Oberlin College, an MFA in Dance from the University of
North Carolina at Greensboro, and is a Certified Movement Analyst (CMA) in
Laban Movement Analysis (LMA) and Bartenieff Fundamentals (BF), which she
earned from the Laban/Bartenieff Institute of Movement Studies (LIMS) in
2010. She has been adjunct or guest faculty at  Arcadia University, DeSales
University, Juniata College, Temple University, Towson University,
University of the Arts, and University of Pennsylvania. In addition to her
freelance offerings through Loren Teaches Movement, she is on faculty with
University City Arts League and Koresh Dance, teaching creative dance to
children. Whether she is teaching students, young or old, professional or
recreational, she delights in encouraging her students with playful rigor
to open new options in their movement and find wonder with their dancing.
When teaching technique and Bartenieff Fundamentals or coaching through the
lens of Laban Movement Analysis, her goal is to help individuals find more
ease, expression, and understanding through movement. She has been
improvising her entire dancing life and currently performs contemporary
modern, contact improvisation, improvisation, and classical Balinese dance.
She is a founding member of The H-O-T Series and The Impermanent Society of
Philadelphia, which supports freely improvised dance and music in
performance and is a key organizer and teacher for the Philadelphia Contact
Improvisation community. As the Artistic Director of Vervet Dance, she
produces much of her creative work, both tightly choreographed works and
semi-composed improvisation.

More Info: LorenTeachesMovement.com