[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Jungwoong Kim Teaches Contact this Sunday Oct 21st 1pm

Curt Haworth curthaworth at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 15:13:58 EDT 2018

Jungwoong Kim Teaches Contact Class
WHEN: This Sunday Oct 21st 1-3 pm
WHERE: Headlong Studios, 1170 S. Broad St
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1170+S.+Broad+St&entry=gmail&source=g>. (near
Broad/Federal SEPTA stop)
$10 drop-in
Please arrive in time to dress and be ready to go at 1

Class description:
This class begin with some basic principles of Contact Improvisation, such
as getting used to moving with the floor, our surfaces, our weight, our
structure and impulses. We will engage in deep listening, and using aural
stimulation in sensitive dancing. Our work together will be safe, focused,
and playful.

Bio:

Jungwoong Kim has been a performance artist a dancer, choreographer,
designer, and film editor for more than 20 years. Born and raised in South
Korea, Jungwoong Kim had extensive training in martial arts and Korean
traditional dance and ritual, both of which strongly inform his artistic
vision and aesthetic. Since 2014 he has been an artist in residence at
Asian Arts Initiative (AAI) in Philadelphia. Through this residency, he
received a John S. and James L. Knight Foundation grant. He was also
awarded a 2015 multi-year grant from the Pew Center for Arts & Heritage for
the creation of SaltSoul, a multi-disciplinary creative/performance
project. 2017 Bilateral Dance Artist Exchange Residency in Budapest, HR,
Philadelphia Dance Projects. Also, he was nominated for a 2017 Pew
Fellowship.

Jungwoong is often sought as a teacher of improvisation and Contact
Improvisation. His teaching engagements include Philadelphia's University
of the Arts, the University of Richmond, Korea National University of the
Arts, Chonbuk National University, Earthdance, and community classes in
Philadelphia, elsewhere in the U.S. He is a faculty member for Headlong
Theater Institute in 2017 and Temple U. Dance Dept, contactfestival
freiburg 2018 (Germany), and is a resident trainer for Wilma Theater’s
Hothouse Company.

--

Curt Haworth

Artistic director, Movement and Performance

Artist in Residence, Mascher Space Cooperative

Curator, Impermanent Society of Philadelphia

Coordinator Contact Improv Philly

Professor, University of the Arts