[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Contact Improv with Greg Holt Sunday June 17th 1pm

Curt Haworth curthaworth at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 19:18:57 EDT 2018

*The touch that asks for nothing in return *

with Gregory Holt

June 17th, 1–3pm @ Headlong Studios

$10–$20 sliding scale, drop-in

for more info email info at somaticsandsocialjustice.org

This is a phrase I remember from my contact improvisation training, and I
think it's a good starting place for unpacking what goes into practices of
touch. In this class I use fundamental principles of contact improvisation
to look at our consent practices and relationship building in the dance
space. The sense of touch intertwines between multiple perceivers,
structuring our experience of it as deeply social and socializing. I have
found that this requires clarity in one's identities and values in order to
create space to meet another dancer on their own terms. We will use games,
discussions, and scored improvisation to deepen and trouble playful,
engaged, slow, and steadfast dances.

Gregory Holt is a choreographer in Philadelphia, where he also works as a
community organizer. His dances are refined, process-based works, driven to
look for social structures in somatic experience. His organizing work is in
developing the local cooperative economy and direct action for climate
justice. His work has been shown across the US, in Canada, and in Europe.
He was a 2011 LAB Fellow, and was an Artist in Residence at Mascher Space
Co-op for 7 years. He teaches improvisation and contact, and believes dance
provides the best space for reflecting on power.

--
Curt Haworth
733 Federal St