[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] June 23rd & 24th: BodyCartography Project workshop

Nicole Bindler info at somaticsandsocialjustice.org
Thu Jun 7 11:20:34 EDT 2018

Dancing With Our Vitality with Olive Bieringa, co-director of
the BodyCartography Project

June 23rd & 24th, 1-5pm @ Headlong Studios
to register email info at somaticsandsocialjustice.org
$85–$145 sliding scale for the weekend

This workshop will focus on how bodies move while in physical contact with
each other while focusing on the physical laws that govern motion: mass,
gravity, momentum, and inertia. Together we will gather deep support from
our organs, which provide us with our sense of vitality, full-bodiedness,
and organic authenticity. They support our survival, our postural tone, and
our feelings, and give volume to our movement. Our organs are filled with
emotions, aspirations, and the memories of our personal and social
histories. Together we will initiate breath, voice, movement, and touch
from our organs to explore dancing together that is both meditative and
acrobatic.

Olive Bieringa is a dance maker, somatic movement therapist, and cultural
producer who grew up in Wellington, New Zealand, studied at the European
Dance Development Center in the Netherlands and completed her MFA in
Performance and New Media from Long Island University in Brooklyn, NY. She
is a certified teacher of Body-Mind Centering® and DanceAbility, working
with performers of all abilities. She is a recipient of Foundation for
Contemporary Art Fellowship in 2015 and a McKnight Foundation Fellowship in
2010. Olive teaches internationally in contexts such as Praxis Festival,
Oslo; Impulstanz Festival, Vienna; Movement Research, NYC; SEEDS Festival,
Earthdance, Massachusetts; and dance companies, such as Lyon Opera Ballet;
Footnote Dance; Touch Compass, New Zealand; Axis Dance Company, California;
and Young Dance, Minneapolis. Her writings appear in numerous online
publications and the following books: Meandering Methodologies, Deviant
Disciplines — Four Years of City Art Collaboratory from Public Art Saint
Paul, Saint Paul, Minnesota, and Site Dance: Choreographers and the Lure of
Alternate Spaces from University of Florida Press.