[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] This Saturday, Blood, Sea at the Performance Garage

Nicole Bindler nicolebindler at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 20:37:27 EDT 2018

Dear Philly dance-people,

I'm writing to invite you to see my new dance, *Blood, Sea
<https://www.facebook.com/events/173699450080428/>* this Saturday, May 5th,
8pm, @ the Performance Garage
<http://www.performancegarage.org/nicolebindler-bloodsea>.
You can get tickets here <http://www.danceboxoffice.com/?page_id=1360>!
Here's more info...

*Blood, Sea*

Your helical heart is everywhere
Your blood is the transport system of your needs
Your vessels draw you toward and away

Created by Nicole Bindler with the performers
Music by Julius Masri

Performed by Christina Gesualdi, Christine Mantey, Derek Freeh, Elizabeth
Weinstein, Greg Holt, Harlee Trautman, JD Frost, Janna Meiring, Jonathan
Stein, Kimya Imani Jackson, Margot Electra Steinberg, Miryam Coppersmith,
Pablo Virgo, and Talia Mason

Blood, Sea is an improvised ensemble dance drawing inspiration from our
evolution from the ocean to land, our ontogenetic journey from the amniotic
sea of the womb to adulthood, and polarities within our lives and bodies,
such as affinity and aversion, or blood and cerebrospinal fluid, which
arise in the front and back of our bodies, respectively, and are the
heaviest and lightest fluids.

The title is drawn from the writing of Italo Calvino. His short story
"Blood, Sea" refers to the balance of salinity in our blood and in the
ocean from which we humans evolved: “Bathed by the primordial wave which
continues to flow in the arteries, our blood in fact has a chemical
composition analogous to that of the sea of our origins.” As we evolved
into terrestrial beings, we brought the sea inside of us onto land.

Nicole Bindler's performance work and teaching have been presented
throughout Europe, North America, Argentina, and in Tokyo, Beirut,
Bethlehem, and Quito. Her dances have been supported by the Pew Center for
Arts and Heritage, Leeway Foundation, Puffin Foundation, Foundation for
Contemporary Arts, Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, and the Ellen Forman
Memorial Award. Bindler holds a BA in Dance and Poetry from Hampshire
College, a degree in Muscular Therapy from the Muscular Therapy Institute,
and certificates in Embodied Anatomy Yoga, Embodied Developmental Movement
and Yoga, and Practitioner of Body-Mind Centering ® from the School for
Body-Mind Centering®. She has taught Somatics and Improvisation at Temple
University, University of the Arts, and the University of Pennsylvania. Her
writing has been published in Critical Correspondence, Contact Quarterly,
Emergency Index by Ugly Duckling Presse, Jewish Currents, BMC® Currents,
Curate This, Journal of Dance & Somatic Practices, and thINKingDANCE.
Bindler is a member of the Jewish Voice for Peace Artist Council and is the
Founder and Director of The Institute for Somatics and Social Justice.
www.somaticsandsocialjustice.org
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.somaticsandsocialjustice.org%2F&h=ATPpBwWPPjTe1ld2vdWnRXiPYElKcL7PiB4LOjkhlwfvRN83p-me20zPU_eDMx_764R0XO6F08NpHjE3WHq-9c467lTzwj3393A5WMLimdMtr7uqBHqr7lZFtkgs0_VjuLX_Eac&s=1>

See you there!
-Nicole Bindler

--
*Bindler <http://www.nicolebindler.com/>*

The Institute for Somatics and Social Justice
<https://www.somaticsandsocialjustice.org/>
Donate to our international visas fundraiser!
<https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=2n1TK3Dy2ELZgkH8hQ5CDh9zpAiRhoqkdk4gl0MyhIdZW61ACQg1LgUa_hHqzMzfVAWunW&country.x=US&locale.x=US>
Like us on Facebook!
<https://www.facebook.com/TheInstituteforSomaticsandSocialJustice/>