[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] An Opportunity for Dancers and Teachers of Dance to Earn The Safe in Dance Qualification

PhiladelphiaDANCE.org philadelphiadance at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 08:49:49 EDT 2018

This post is being sent by PhiladelphiaDANCE.org on behalf of Janine
Bryant. Any inquiries or replies should not be made directly to this post
but sent to  J.Bryant2 at wlv.ac.uk

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An Opportunity for Dancers and Teachers of Dance to Earn

*The Safe in Dance Qualification*

(An internationally recognized qualification)

           Greetings, Philadelphia dance community! It has been a while.
Things across the pond are going swimmingly. The dance medicine and science
community here is as active as ever, and we continue to provide lectures,
seminars and conferences on dancer health and wellness across the UK. I
wanted to share an update on a very important qualification that I will be
able to offer when I am back in the USA for a period of time this
spring/summer, 2018.

          As a dance scientist, researcher and lecturer, I am always
looking for ways to share knowledge and advocate for the health and safety
of dancers both in the studio and on the stage. I became a Safe in Dance
Registered Provider because this is the only internationally recognized
qualification that is supported and recommended by IADMS (International
Association for Dance Medicine and Science); an organization whose main
function is to advocate for and provide information on health and wellness
for dancers. My colleagues at Safe in Dance are passionate and engaged and
have meticulously designed this unique qualification, which is taking off
here in the UK and in Canada.

           Below, please find information on this very special
qualification. If you are interested in learning more, feel free to contact
me at J.Bryant2 at wlv.ac.uk. I offer group rates and special discounts for
students. If you are a program chair or director, please contact me, as
this qualification fits nicely inside university courses, can be offered
via distance, and is an excellent offering to compliment a university
degree program.

*Safe in Dance International (SiDI) believes that it is the right of
everyone involved in dance to teach, study, train, rehearse and perform in
a safe and supportive environment. With this in mind we support, develop,
encourage and endorse the implementation of healthy dance practice
worldwide.*

Whether you know it as Safe Dance Practice, Dancer Wellness or Healthy
Dance Practice, Safe in Dance International aims to ensure a better,
longer, more effective and less injured dance experience for anyone who
dances, whether professionally, in competition or for recreation.

SiDI, with the support of international dance science experts and
organisations, has developed the international benchmark standard for
Healthy Dance Practice for anyone working in the studio with dancers and
for dancers themselves. We endorse the good and best Healthy Dance
Practice/ Dance Wellness of organisations, colleges, and individuals.

*We do this through offering:*

·         *Certification of the knowledge and understanding of the 10 core
principles of Healthy Dance Practice*
<http://www.safeindance.com/certificates-study-options/healthy-dance-certificates/>

·         *Endorsement of good and best practice in Healthy Dance Practice*

·         *A service to develop and endorse healthy practice within
college, university programmes*
<http://www.safeindance.com/working-with/dance-schools/>

·         *Advice and support to professional companies to improve dancer
health*

·         *Embedding our certification within university programmes*
<http://www.safeindance.com/working-with/dance-schools/>

All of our courses and certification offer endorsed continuing professional
development

Safe in Dance International work internationally across all dance sectors,
genres and communities.
Let us endorse your practice.

*Dance Practitioners*

*Whether you are a dance practitioner working in a studio, school or
college, training or rehearsing professional dancers, or teaching community
dance to young children or adults attaining one of our certificates will
help you to get better outcomes by applying your healthy dance knowledge in
a practical and appropriate way. Our aim is to support you in your specific
requirements as a dance teacher whatever the genre you teach and whatever
the age or stage you work with.*

*“Professional and rigorous, this is a ‘must have’ qualification for all
dance teachers who care about their reputation and their students’
well-being. Well informed teachers mean better dancing.” Rachel
Rist, Director of Dance, Tring Park School, UK*

In most cases we recommend that teachers register for the Healthy Dance
Practice Certificate which will:

·         Provide evidence to parents, students and employers that you have
all the knowledge you need to support your dance students in the studio and
in their ongoing dance development

·         Help put you at the forefront of current healthy dance knowledge
and practical application and giving you the tools and understanding to
stay there

·         Award you 60 hours of CPD through independent study

·         *Enrol via a Registered Provider, who will assist you every step
of the way*.

*Dancers* *Professional Dancers or dancers in training want to increase
their technical skill, optimize their performance ability, have a long and
successful career in dance at the same time as minimizing their risk of
injury. The information a dancer gains through undertaking our
certification will support them throughout their dancing lives and beyond.*

We generally recommend that dancers undertake the Healthy Dancer
Certificate, which can help dancers to:

·         Increase longevity in the dance profession

·         Look after their own health and wellbeing

·         Understand how to minimize risk of injury in an increasingly
demanding profession

·         Understand how to undertake more complex and demanding technical
and choreographic challenges with less risk of injury to themselves

·         Better manage the pressures of class, rehearsal and performance
and understand the value of rest and recovery

·         Provide themselves with a stepping stone to a future career as a
dance teacher/ leader

*THE CERTIFICATES*

  *Healthy Dance Practice Certificate (HDPC)*

The Healthy Dance Practice Certificate is designed for those teaching or
leading dancers in any setting and in any style. This Certificate asks you
to provide evidence of your understanding of all of the Core Principles by
completing all of the Sections: One, Two and Three. You will need to submit
a variety of materials for review – further detail guidance on how to
complete the HDPC is available in the Candidate pack provided on
registration. Working towards this Certificate will improve your
understanding of the inter-related factors that contribute to and enhance
healthy dance practice and support the physical and mental wellbeing of
participants.

It is often thought that safe practice is about restrictive health and
safety legislation but there are many more aspects to take into account.
Research into this multi-layered approach will lead you to learn more about
the necessity of understanding how the body works biomechanically to
promote good alignment, discover how good injury awareness and management
can protect dancers, why proper nutrition and hydration is important to
maintain dancers health and performance while they dance and why
psychological elements should be taken into consideration to ensure a safe
and effective learning environment. While these are all essential to
providing a positive dance experience, it is vital that they are applied
with the specific participant group’s needs, abilities and desired outcomes
in mind. Your submitted materials will demonstrate both your knowledge and
application of all of the Core Principles, with direct attention paid to
your specific dancers and stylistic context.

This certificate awards 60 hours of continuing professional development.

*Cost for a weekend Certification Course led by Janine Bryant, Registered
SiDI Provider, is $500.00 – this includes all materials, power points and
textbook, assistance with application procedure, revision assistance and
mentoring through the process for an entire year to receiving the
certification.*

*Healthy Dancer Certificate (HDC)*

The Healthy Dancer Certificate allows individual dancers, working in any
genre or style to show how their own practice is informed by healthy dance
principles. It deals with you as a dancer, in training or as a
professional, maintain your unique dancing body in order to optimize your
performance and minimise the risk of injury. This Certificate asks you to
provide evidence of your understanding of all of the Core Principles by
completing all of the Sections: One, Two and Three. You will need to submit
a variety of materials for review – further detail guidance on how to
complete the HDC is available in the Candidate pack provided on
registration. Working towards this Certificate will improve your
understanding of the inter-related factors that contribute to and enhance
your physical and mental wellbeing to safeguard and protect your own body
while participating in dance activities.

You will increase your awareness of how the body works biomechanically to
promote good alignment, discover how good injury awareness and management
can help you to deal with injury, why proper nutrition and hydration is
important for you to maintain health and performance while you dance and
the impact of psychological factors that may influence or compromise your
ability to work safely. Your submitted materials will demonstrate both your
knowledge and application of all of the Core Principles in combination to
build your personal safe practice.

This certificate awards 60 hours of continuing professional development.

*Cost for a weekend Certification Course led by Janine Bryant, Registered
SiDI Provider, is $500.00 – this includes all materials, power points and
textbook, assistance with application procedure, revision assistance and
mentoring through the process for an entire year to receiving the
certification.*

Please contact Janine Bryant directly to express interest or to apply and,
as always, dance healthy, long and strong!

Janine Bryant, BFA, MA, SFHEA, PhD Candidate

J.Bryant2 at wlv.ac.uk

www.safeindance.com