[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Performance-making and Self Care with Jaamil Olawale Kosoko

The Whole Shebang art.at.shebang at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 16:38:31 EDT 2018

Please join us for a very special opportunity to work with internationally
touring performance artist Jaamil Olawale Kosoko... One day only to dive
deep into process and methods of making.

Unfolding The Transgressive Body (a reclamation of our time)
with Jaamil Olawale Kosoko
Sunday April 8 10am-4pm
at The Whole Shebang
1813 S 11th Street, rear entrance
sliding scale: $80-100
more info below and here:
http://www.thewholeshebangphilly.com/take-classes/unfolding-the-transgressive-body

Register now! Space is limited. Join the workshop and then see Séancers at
FringeArts <http://fringearts.com/event/seancers/> May 10-12 to see how
Kosoko's practice builds into performance.

*Workshop and retreat description:*

“For those of us
who were imprinted with fear
like a faint line in the center of our foreheads
learning to be afraid with our mother’s milk
for by this weapon
this illusion of some safety to be found
the heavy-footed hoped to silence us
For all of us
this instant and this triumph
We were never meant to survive.

- audre lorde, a litany for survival ”

How do we as movement practitioners train and strengthen the mind and body
to resist oppressive structures and systems? How might tools of self care,
personal meditation, and pyshic choreographic systems support and prepare
us for site based and/or theatrical radical performance making? How does
the teaching of theory promote new systems for intellectual simulation and
understanding. With this workshop Jaamil Olawale Kosoko shares personal
practice, vision, and strategies for performance making, community
organizing, healing, embodiment, and play, exploration, and pleasure
through a series of group conversations, readings, and body based
exercises. Participants are encouraged to bring questions and works to
share that they are willing to unfold within a group environment.

*Jaamil Olawale Kosoko*, is a Nigerian-American curator, poet, and
performance artist. He is a 2017 Princeton Arts Fellow, a 2017 Jerome
Artists in Residence at Abrons Arts Center, a 2017 APAP Leadership Fellow,
and a 2017 Cave Canem Poetry Fellow. He has held producing and curatorial
positions at New York Live Arts, 651 Arts, and The Watermill Center among
others. Kosoko is a 2016 Gibney Dance boo-koo resident artist and a
recipient of a 2017 and 2016 USArtists International Award from the
Mid-Atlantic Arts Foundation. Kosoko has created original roles in the
performance works of visual artist Nick Cave, Pig Iron Theatre Company,
Keely Garfield Dance, Miguel Gutierrez and The Powerful People, Headlong
Dance Theater, among others. He continues to teach, speak, and lecture
internationally. In 2017, his piece#negrophobia toured throughout Europe
and received a 2016 Bessie Award nomination. His newest work Séancers is
currently touring. Visitjaamil.com for more information.