[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] durational dance practice and performance March 17 and 25

Loren Groenendaal lorengroenendaal at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 12:17:18 EST 2018

Hello Philadelphia Dance community,

My current dance research has become focused on duration and a new,
potentially more natural sense of time. In the month of March, I will be
hosting two different, but related events that explore this topic. Both
events take place at Mascher Space Cooperative
<http://www.mascherdance.org/>. I hope you will join us, one is a practice
and one is a performance.

The Underscore <https://www.facebook.com/events/214762982410886/> on
Saturday, March 17 is a practice open to the public. If you would like to
participate, you should attend the Talk Through (11:30am-12:30pm) just
prior to be oriented to the Practice 1-4pm.

The following weekend on Sunday, March 25, I will be hosting a dance and
music durational performance "In the Light"
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1989961611225081/> from sunrise to sunset.
This is not a practice, but we invite you to be our audience any time
between 6:55am-7:17pm. Advance tickets are available at https://www.artful.
ly/vervetdance/store/events/14756

More details on both below:

*Underscore <https://www.facebook.com/events/214762982410886/> *
Saturday, March 17
Underscore Talk through= 11:30am-12:30pm at Steap and Grind,
<http://www.steapandgrind.com/>1619 Frankford Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19125
Underscore Practice= 1-4pm at Mascher Space Cooperative
<http://www.mascherdance.org/>, 155 Cecil B. Moore. Philadelphia, PA 19122

Facilitated by Loren Groenendaal, Curt Haworth, and Jenny Sawyer.
More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/214762982410886/

MORE INFORMATION:
The Underscore Practice is a simple and beautiful structure for a focused
jam-like practice developed by Nancy Stark Smith. The structure is a
precise, but open platform for investigation of contact improvisation and
solo and group improvised composition. The score is an organic
developmental nonverbal sequence that provides focus to the dancing
community and opens up possibilities for movement, awareness, connection,
and various physical/mental states. We commit to participating in the
entire score.

The Underscore Talk Through outlines the structure of the Underscore
Practice, so that participants are all practicing together and nonverbally.
The talk through also provides a common language and glyphs (symbols) to
use when reflecting on our practice in the concluding Thanksgiving and
Harvest. If you have not participated in an Underscore talk through before,
you should attend. The talk through introduces you to the structure of the
jam, so we can nonverbally follow the dancing journey together.

Nancy Stark Smith, who originated the practice, describes it this way:
"The Underscore is a vehicle for incorporating Contact Improvisation into a
broader arena of improvisational dance practice; for developing greater
ease dancing in spherical space—alone and with others; and for integrating
kinesthetic and compositional concerns while improvising. It allows for a
full spectrum of energetic and physical expressions, embodying a range of
forms and changing states. Its practice is familiar yet unpredictable." (
http://nancystarksmith.com/underscore)

NOTES:
This is NOT a come and go jam. Plan on committing to the whole session.
Built into this long duration, there is time for preparation and recovery.

As this is a long jam without coming and going, it is highly recommended to
bring SNACKS for yourself and ideally some to share with the group in the
Harvest and Thanksgiving time at the end.

It is recommended to bring a JOURNAL and PEN for reflection during the
score or learning the score in the talk through.

QUESTIONS: Email LorenTeachesMovement at gmail.com or
LorenGroenendaal at gmail.com

*In the Light <https://www.facebook.com/events/1989961611225081/>*
by Vervet Dance <http://www.vervetdance.org/>
Sunday, March 25 sunrise to sunset (6:55am-7:17pm)
Mascher Space Cooperative <http://www.mascherdance.org/>, 155 Cecil B.
Moore. Philadelphia, PA 19122
More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/1989961611225081/
Advance tickets: https://www.artful.ly/vervetdance/store/events/14756

Vervet Dance <http://www.vervetdance.org/> presents their semi-composed
durational music and dance performance, "In the Light" directed by Loren
Groenendaal. This durational performance lasts all day, from sunrise to
sunset. The audience is invited to come and go and to observe or not.

We will be performing once each season, sensing the natural rhythms of
ourselves, our community and the relationship between earth and sun. We
will be performing without electricity, solely lit by the sun and powered
by ourselves without amplification. We aim to enhance empathy to ourselves
and others, to work and play to our limits, but not past our limits for an
epic, but sustainable aesthetic and social endeavor. We will engage in the
radical behaviors of recuperating in public, repeating while recognizing
there is no true repetition, shifting gradually and dramatically; moving
and sounding with breathing, sensing, and awareness; composing in the
moment, and discovering new artistic territory.

Feedback from audience members of earlier "In the Light" excerpts:
"organic flow"
"magnetic"
"weird, in a good way"
"no expectations"
"awesome"

Artists for Spring *In the Light* include musicians, dancers, cooks, and
photographer: Alpha_Alpha, Sean Thomas Boyt, Wyman Brantley, Nathan Dawley,
Melinda Faylor, Michael Bradford Forbes, Loren Groenendaal, Jen
Kertis-Veit, Katherine Kiefer Stark, Eliot Klein, Chloe Marie Newton,
Connor Przybyszewski, Mick Ricereto, Jenny Roe Sawyer, Margot Electra
Steinberg, Michele Tantoco, Andy Thierauf, Schuyler Thum, and Mauri Walton.

Spring meal will be vegan with options without gluten, nightshades, onion,
garlic, sugar, fruit, soy, or nuts. Food is only available with advance
tickets.
We are also seeking volunteers to help with the show, so email us if you
would like free admittance for work exchange.

QUESTIONS: VervetDance at gmail.com or LorenGroenendaal at gmail.com

*Loren Groenendaal*
MFA in Choreography
BA in Dance and Visual Arts
Certified Movement Analyst
Freelance Teaching Artist as Loren Teaches Movement
<https://www.lorenteachesmovement.com/>
Founding Artistic Director of Vervet Dance <http://www.vervetdance.org/>
Founding Member, Curator of Impermanent Society of Philadelphia
<http://www.impermanentsociety.com/>
Founding Member, Board Member, Artist in Residence of Mascher Space
Cooperative <http://mascherdance.com/>

Accepting secure tax deductible donations to Vervet Dance through Fractured
Atlas
<https://www.fracturedatlas.org/site/fiscal/profile?id=8174#about_project> to
support our ongoing expenses and upcoming projects.