[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] THIS WEEK Aggressive Snuggling with Eroca Nicols

The Whole Shebang art.at.shebang at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 11:38:53 EST 2018

"It's somewhere between queer-self-defense-and-survival and
embodied-risk-taking-with-agency movement practice." We say YES to that.

Join us to explore consent and the spectrum of touch from the political to
poetic through movement exploration, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ,) and Contact
Improvisation (CI) with body nerd and BJJ and CI badass Eroca Nicols. There
are two chances to participate, and *this workshop is for every body and
all skill levels! *

*Aggressive Snuggling: From the Politics of Touch to the Poetics of Touch*
*with Eroca Nicols*
*March 6-11! Two opportunities to participate!*
session one: Tues March 6 - Fri March 9 12-3p
session two: Saturday March 10 + Sunday March 11 11a-5p (including lunch
break)
whole series (either session): sliding scale $100-150
drop in: $35 single weekday session / $55 single weekend session

*grab that spot and save those bucks! register early! more info and
register here:* http://www.thewholeshebangphilly.com/
take-classes/aggressive-snuggling-with-eroca-nicols

*About the workshop from Eroca:*
I recently started studying Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) and I see many
parallels to contact improvisation (CI). Like CI, in BJJ it is absolutely
necessary to commit all my attention to the task at hand because of real
physical risk. One of the aspects I love about BJJ and where I see a very
real difference from CI, is the incredible clarity of boundaries. When a
person "taps out" a little tap on the shoulder or leg or really anywhere
that can be reached, means: stop doing what you are doing, let go,
physically come apart and start again. Also, before engaging in any touch,
there is a customary high five then fist bump. The cues are not a
suggestion of agreement, these cues are clear; yes, I agree to engage and;
no, I no longer agree and we are now stopping.

Often boundaries are muddy in contact improvisation and there are many
reasons for this including systemic hetero-patriarchy, white supremacy,
colonialist ideas of "freedom" and ableism. CI culture can include clear
boundaries but in my experience it does not and this excludes many people
particularly many women and femme presenting folks, queer folks, gender
fluid folks, people of color and folks of different abilities. I want CI to
be a place I can invite my community but it is currently not. Perhaps by
adopting some of the explicit consent codes of BJJ, we can address some of
the issues around consent and boundaries that exist inside the CI
community. And do so with care and openness.

I want to stress the importance and the place for the politics of touch to
precede the poetics of touch. I believe that we can begin to work on this
and at the same time have a good time learning some fun skills from another
partnered movement practice (BJJ.)

Here's a list of some of the things we will definitely do:
-Ask for and receive consent before touching anyone!
-Develop and practice both a physical and a verbal start and stop signal.
-Practice saying yes and saying no and meaning it.
-Practice hearing yes and hearing no and responding to it.

More skills we will work on:
-play with different levels of compression and weight
-extreme squeezing, how do we dial up and down our tone?
-improvising from BJJ "positions"
- mount, guard, half guard, side guard.

I will introduce the specific physical consent strategies practiced in
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. We will work on techniques for application of pressure
on another body as well as several submissions, specifically an arm lock
and a blood choke from multiple angles.

*Eroca Nicols* is an international performance art and body nerd. Her alter
ego and company, Lady Janitor combs the globe looking for places to incite
radical moments of art chaos, consume massive amounts of coffee, wear
amazing unisuits and confer with movers and thinkers of all varieties. Her
teaching, dancing and training are deeply influenced in her continued study
of ritual, biomechanics and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.