[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] ISOP presents FebFest: DiscorDance, Feb16-18, 2018

Loren Groenendaal lorengroenendaal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 15:48:20 EST 2018

The Impermanent Society of Philadelphia
<http://www.impermanentsociety.com/> announces
a 3 day February Festival of Improvisation in Music and Dance with the
theme of Discord, February 16, 2018 through Sunday February 18, 2018.

We see this event, which we are calling "ISOP FebFest: DiscorDance"
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1511682992214947/> as a way to get
together and explore how we, as improvisors, work with qualities of
disharmony, disagreement, conflict, strife, friction, as well as their
opposites? How do we as improvisors use our practices to navigate, escape,
or express ourselves in a time of stressful social and cultural changes and
challenges (immigration, national identity, sexual harassment, nuclear
weapons, racism, LGBTQIA+ rights, and religious persecution, to name a few)?

"ISOP FebFest: DiscorDance" will kick off with a panel discussion Friday
2/16 afternoon 2-4pm at Temple University's Tuttleman Learning Center,
hosted by the BEEP - Boyer College Electroacoustic Ensemble Project, with
the topic Discord: Improvisation in an era of cultural conflict, giving us
talk-and-listen time to situate our artistic expressive practices within
the shifting cultural and political landscapes we find ourselves navigating.

(Panelists TBA)

On Friday 2/16 night, Saturday 2/17 afternoon, and Saturday night there
will then be public performances curated by ISOP at Mascher Space Co-op
<http://www.mascherdance.org/> and Vox Populi
<http://voxpopuligallery.org/>matching
up performers for sets that will allow a chance to work out some of the
festival's questions in artistic action.

Featuring performances by:
Alpha_Alpha (Kujata Nsse), Philadelphia, electronics object
Robert Bingham, Philadelphia, PA, dance
Audrey Chen, Berlin, Germany, voice
Gene Coleman, Collingswood, NJ, bass clarinet
Erica Corbo, Philadelphia, PA, flute, voice, keyboard
Eppchez Yes, Philadelphia, PA, performance
Ali Fischer, New York City, NY, dance
Michael Bradford Forbes, Philadelphia, PA, multi-instrumentalist, mover
Rachel Germond, New York, NY, dance
Christina Gesualdi, Philadelphia, PA, dance
Beau Hancock, Philadelphia, PA, dance
Kimya Imani Jackson, Philadelphia, PA, dance
Joe Moffett, New York, NY, trumpet
Henrik Munkeby Nørstebø, Finland
Katarina Poljak, Philadelphia, PA, dance
Vitche-Boul Ra, Philadelphia, PA, performance
Marion Ramirez, Philadelphia, PA, dance
Erik Ruin, Philadelphia, PA, shadow puppets and projections
Kate Seethaler,Philadelphia, PA, dance
Chelsea Smarr, Bethlehem, PA harp
Merian Soto, Philadelphia, PA, dance
Lane Speidel, Philadelphia, PA, movement
Awilda Sterling-Duprey, Puerto Rico, dance
Schuyler Thum, Doylestown, PA, multi-instrumentalist
Steph Turner, Philadelphia, PA, dance
Pamela Vail, Lancaster, PA, dance
Refulgent Sepulchre (Lance Simmons), Philadelphia, PA, electronics
More Artists TBA

SHOW TIMES and specific SETS (subject to change):

FRIDAY FRISSON
Friday 2/16 Show at 8-10pm @ Mascher Space Co-op
155 Cecil B. Moore Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19122

Fri Set 1= Schuyler Thum, Katarina Poljak > Chelsea Smarr, Eppchez Yes

Fri Set 2= Erica Corbo, Michael Bradford Forbes, Kate Seethaler, Stephanie
Turner

Fri Set 3= Pamela Vail, Gene Coleman > Christina Gesualdi, Joe Moffett

TANGLES OF THE AFTERNOON
Saturday 2/17 4-6pm @ Vox Populi
319 N 11th St, 3rd floor, Philadelphia, PA 19107

Sat Afternoon Set 1= Jim Strong, Marion Ramirez > Vitche-Boul Ra, Kate
Seethaler

Sat Afternoon Set = Rachel Germond, Stephanie Turner, Schuyler Thum >
Merian Soto, Erica Corbo

Sat Afternoon Set 3= Michael Bradford Forbes, Kimya Imani Jackson, Eppchez
Yes

Sat Afternoon Set 4= Alpha Alpha (Kujata Nsse), Gene, Awilda
Sterling-Duprey, Katarina Poljak

SATURDAY NIGHT DIVE
Saturday 2/17 8-10pm @ Vox Populi
319 N 11th St, Philadelphia, PA 19107

Sat Night Set 1= Lance Simmons Music, Rachel Germond

Sat Night Set 2= Merian Soto, Audrey Chen > Marion Ramirez

Sat Night Set 3= Ali Fischer, Alpha Alpha (Kujata Nsse), Erica Corbo >
Kimya Imani Jackson, Awilda Sterling-Duprey

Sat Night Set 4= Henrik Munkeby Nørstebø, Lane Speidel > Erik Ruin, Beau
Hancock, Chelsea Smarr

ENTER THE FRAY
The festival will wrap up on Sunday 2/18 with an open, no-talking sound and
movement session facilitated by Eun Jung Choi from noon to 4pm at Mascher
Space Co-op <http://www.mascherdance.org/> (155 Cecil B. Moore Ave 2B
Philadelphia, PA 19122, You are invited to participate. There will be an
orientation at 1pm. Space opens at 12pm for load in and personal warm-up.
No entry after 1:30pm. Early departure is fine. Ring the doorbell to get
in. Noise level must remain moderate to be considerate of our neighbors in
the building.

ISOP FebFest: Discord is curated by Asimina Chremos, Eun Jung Choi, Loren
Groenendaal, Curt Haworth, Rob Kopki, and Jim Strong with organizational
support from Flandrew Fleisenberg and Adam Vidiksis.

*Loren Groenendaal*
MFA in Choreography
BA in Dance and Visual Arts
Certified Movement Analyst
Freelance Teaching Artist as Loren Teaches Movement
<https://www.lorenteachesmovement.com/>
Founding Artistic Director of Vervet Dance <http://www.vervetdance.org/>
Founding Member, Curator of Impermanent Society of Philadelphia
<http://www.impermanentsociety.com/>
Founding Member, Board Member, Artist in Residence of Mascher Space
Cooperative <http://mascherdance.com/>

Accepting secure tax deductible donations to Vervet Dance through Fractured
Atlas
<https://www.fracturedatlas.org/site/fiscal/profile?id=8174#about_project> to
support our ongoing expenses and upcoming projects.