[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Contemporary practice with Kate Seethaler tomorrow at 10am

Kate Seethaler kate.seethaler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 12:32:30 EST 2018

**Join Kate Seethaler every Friday morning at The Iron Factory for open contemporary class—a hearty practice for the body and soul!

*We are deepening our exploration of focus these next few weeks. How does what we see, what we can't see, what we choose not to see impact our embodiment of movement? Let's direct our eyes and our full-body attention to enhance our specificity, our risk-taking and our experience of the surroundings!

—10-11:30 am at The Iron Factory (3rd floor of 118 Fontain St)
—$10 class fee (cash, check, PayPal or venmo)
—Class continues weekly!

*Friday morning contemporary technique with Kate Seethaler is an intermediate-advanced level dance class open to anyone who wants to move thoughtfully. Working towards a grounded and direct approach to movement, our practice is infused with somatic principles and experiential improvisations. Class work explores a variety of contemporary dance practices, including sensation-based floor work, improvisational scores, technically-focused warmup exercises, nuanced phrase work, and much more. We unpack the physics of movement, ride the wave of momentum, sweep unabashedly through space, and hone our perceptions to find sublime subtlety. Senses of fun and curiosity are the only prerequisites. Join us!

KATE SEETHALER is an improviser, choreographer, dance educator, performer, and new Philadelphian. Her artistic work moves from questions about the audience/performer relationship, the line (if one exists) between serious and silly, and utilizing improvisation to access other realms. Kate has had the recent pleasures of working with choreographers Deborah Goffe/Scapegoat Garden, Katie Martin, Stephanie Turner, Barbie Diewald, and Rabble & Twine. She was most recently the artist-in-residence at the School for Contemporary Dance & Thought (Northampton, MA), during which time she created a new evening-length work--Homing--with four collaborating dancers. Kate has served on the faculties of Springfield College, School for Contemporary Dance & Thought, Aldrich Pilates, The Taft School, and at Smith College as a Gretchen Moran Teaching Fellow. She earned her MFA in Dance/Choreography and Performance from Smith College in 2016, and her BA from Springfield College in 2008. Kate can't wait to meet and dance with the folks of Philly!