[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] contact improvisation for people who love, hate, or love/hate touch

Nicole Bindler nicolebindler at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 17:58:49 EST 2018

*contact improvisation for people who love, hate, or love/hate touch*
with Nicole Bindler at Headlong Studios, 1170 S. Broad St
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1170+S.+Broad+St.*%C2%A0*(near+Broad&entry=gmail&source=g>
Sunday, February 4th, 1-3pm, $10 drop-in

[image: Inline image 1]
​
I often hear from some of my favorite dancers that they love Contact
Improv, but they avoid classes because they're afraid of getting stuck with
one incompatible partner for too long. What if we could repattern the idea
of a CI class from a place where we must touch everyone to a place where we
get to decide at any given moment who and how we touch?

This class is for regular CI practitioners to learn innovative ways to
communicate and understand consent, and for trepidatious attendees to dance
in community without a sense of obligation. We'll do a partnering skills
score in which everyone can decide how much they want to practice the
techniques vs. witness, and we'll explore how to transition between solo,
partner, and ensemble dancing using Body-Mind Centering tools as
inspiration for our movement ideas.

Nicole Bindler <https://www.nicolebindler.com/>'s performance work has been
presented throughout the U.S., Europe, Argentina, and in Quebec, Berlin,
Tokyo, Beirut, Bethlehem, Mexico City, and Quito. Her dances have been
supported by the Pew Center for Arts and Heritage, Leeway Foundation,
Puffin Foundation, Foundation for Contemporary Arts, Pennsylvania Council
on the Arts, and the Ellen Forman Memorial Award. Bindler holds a BA in
Dance and Poetry from Hampshire College, a degree in Muscular Therapy from
the Muscular Therapy Institute, and certificates in Embodied Anatomy Yoga,
Embodied Developmental Movement and Yoga, and Practitioner of Body-Mind
Centering ® from the School for Body-Mind Centering®. She has taught
Somatics and Improvisation at Temple University, University of the Arts,
and the University of Pennsylvania. Her writing has been published in
Critical Correspondence, Contact Quarterly, Emergency Index by Ugly
Duckling Presse, Jewish Currents, BMC® Currents, Curate This, Journal of
Dance & Somatic Practices, and thINKingDANCE. Bindler is a member of the
Jewish Voice for Peace Artist Council and is the Founder and Director of
The Institute for Somatics and Social Justice
<https://www.somaticsandsocialjustice.org/>.

--
*Bindler <http://www.nicolebindler.com/>*

The Institute for Somatics and Social Justice
<https://www.somaticsandsocialjustice.org/>
Donate to our scholarship fundraiser!
<https://www.generosity.com/education-fundraising/somatics-and-social-justice-scholarships--2/x/16414619>
Like us on Facebook!