[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Contemporary Class with Kate Seethaler at The Iron Factory

Andy Thierauf athierauf at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 13:37:09 EST 2018

Contemporary Class with Kate Seethaler

Friday Morning: 10am-11:30am
The Iron Factory
118 Fontain St. 3rd Floor
$10 Drop-In
www.theironfactory.org/workshop-schedule

Friday morning contemporary technique with Kate Seethaler is an
intermediate-advanced level dance class. Working towards a grounded and
direct approach to movement, our practice is infused with somatic
principles and experiential improvisations. Class work explores a variety
of contemporary dance practices, including sensation-based floor work,
improvisational scores, technically-focused warmup exercises, nuanced
phrase work, and much more. We unpack the physics of movement, ride the
wave of momentum, sweep unabashedly through space, and hone our perceptions
to find sublime subtlety. Join us! Senses of fun and curiosity are the only
prerequisites.

KATE SEETHALER is an improviser, choreographer, dance educator, performer,
and brand-newly relocated Philadelphian. Her artistic work moves from
questions about the audience/performer relationship, the line (if one
exists) between serious and silly, and utilizing improvisation to access
other realms. Kate has had the recent pleasures of working with
choreographers Deborah Goffe/Scapegoat Garden, Katie Martin, Stephanie
Turner, and Whitney Wilson. She was most recently the artist-in-residence
at the School for Contemporary Dance & Thought (Northampton, MA), during
which time she created a new evening-length work--Homing--with four
collaborating dancers. Kate has served on the faculties of Springfield
College, School for Contemporary Dance & Thought, Aldrich Pilates, The Taft
School, and at Smith College as a Gretchen Moran Teaching Fellow. She
earned her MFA in Dance/Choreography and Performance from Smith College in
2016, and her BA from Springfield College in 2008. Kate can't wait to meet
and dance with the folks of Philly!