[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Creative Movement for ALL ages starts today 6-7pm, other somatic and creative drop-in classes

Loren Groenendaal lorengroenendaal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 11:29:49 EST 2017

Hello Philadelphia Dance Community,

I am writing with an announcement of my December session classes that start
today and a reminder of other classes with the possibility of joining late
or droping in.

*DECEMBER SESSION starts Monday 12/4*

*CREATIVE MOVEMENT FOR ALL AGES***
*Mondays 6:00-7:00pm*
The Whole Shebang <http://www.thewholeshebangphilly.com/>, 1813 South 11th
Street, Philadelphia, PA 19148
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1813+South+11th+Street,+Philadelphia,+PA+19148&entry=gmail&source=g>
(SOUTH PHILLY)
Fall 2 Session = Mondays, December 4-December 18 (3 weeks)
More Info and Registration for Fall 2 Session: https://creativemovem
entallages-south-mon-fall2-2017.eventbrite.com
**Infants are free. Children under age 8 must be accompanied by an adult.

This intergenerational improvisational dance class is for people of all
ages. We will improvise and move, cultivating freedom, community,
expression, and fun. With these goals in mind, there will be compositional
structures and games that will challenge us to try new movement, to have
fun, and to grow our spontaneous choreography skills. We will focus on the
fundamentals of improvisation, which are simultaneously simple and complex,
and thus a good fit for youth, beginners, and more experienced
professionals. We will work on and play with beginning, making, and
stopping. We will relate to one another, take turns, share support and be
supported. We will play with seeing and being seen while attending to
space, time, and different qualities of movement.

Adults may come solo, bring their own children, or a friend’s kid. Children
under 8 should be accompanied by an adult. If you have a child under 3,
they are welcome, but please know some of the content may be past their
understanding, so I will probably ask you to be a unit with them. Infants
may attend for free.

Dance shoes are not required, just mobile clothing. Flexible pants that
cover knees and shirts that cover shoulders are ideal.

*MAKING MOVES, *ages 8-11* *(Modern Dance and Composition)*
Mondays 5:00-6:00pm
The Whole Shebang <http://www.thewholeshebangphilly.com/>, 1813 South 11th
Street, Philadelphia, PA 19148
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1813+South+11th+Street,+Philadelphia,+PA+19148&entry=gmail&source=g>

(SOUTH PHILLY)
Fall 2 Session= Mondays, December 4-December 18 (3 weeks)
More info and Registration: https://makingmoves-south-mon-fall2-2017.
eventbrite.com

This class provides training in beginning and intermediate level modern
dance technique while also offering students opportunities to create their
own movements and dances through improvisational and choreographic
structures, all while having fun and being empowered. We're Making Moves!

This class is open to all genders. Dance shoes are not required. Flexible
pants that cover knees and shirts that cover shoulders are ideal.

*CLASSES FOR ADULTS: (organized chronologically Mon- Tues-Thurs)*

*CORE MOVEMENT *for adults
*Mondays 7:45-8:45 AM*
University City Arts League <http://www.ucartsleague.org/>, 4226 Spruce St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
3rd floor rear studio (WEST PHILLY)
More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/821380074707989
*Last chances in 2017 to drop-in are Mondays 12/4, 12/11, and/or 12/18.*

*ADULT MODERN DANCE *for adults
*Tuesdays 6:30-8:00 pm*
University City Arts League <http://www.ucartsleague.org/>, 4226 Spruce St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
3rd floor rear dance studio
Fall 2 Session= November 7- December 19, 2017 (7 weeks)
*More info:* https://www.facebook.com/events/124110008307439
*Last chances in 2017 to drop-in are Tuesdays 12/5, 12/12, and/or 12/19.*

*BARTENIEFF AND CORE LABORATORY *for adults
*Thursdays 7:45-8:45 am*
University City Arts League <http://www.ucartsleague.org/>, 4226 Spruce St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
3rd floor rear dance studio
*More Info*: https://www.facebook.com/events/1425116984202237
*Last chances in 2017 to drop-in are Tuesdays 12/7, 12/14, and/or 12/21.*

*OTHER CLASSES FOR CHILDREN (organized from youngest to oldest):*

*STORYDANCE, *ages 2-5
*Mondays 9:00-10:00am *(Thursday version of this class going too)
University City Arts League <http://www.ucartsleague.org/>, 4226 Spruce St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
3rd floor rear dance studio (WEST PHILLY)
*More info: *https://www.facebook.com/events/1865811593729375
*Last chances in 2017 to drop-in are Mondays 12/4, 12/11, and/or 12/18.*

*STORYDANCE,* ages 2-5
*Thursdays 2:30-3:30pm* (Monday version of this class above)
University City Arts League <http://www.ucartsleague.org/>, 4226 Spruce St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
2nd floor rear dance studio (WEST PHILLY)
*More info: *https://www.facebook.com/events/1916122718605406
*Just one more chance to drop-in during 2017 on Monday 12/7.*

*MAKING MOVES,* ages 7-12 *(Modern Dance and Composition)*
*Tuesdays 5:30-6:30 PM*
University City Arts League <http://www.ucartsleague.org/>, 4226 Spruce St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104
3rd floor rear dance studio (WEST PHILLY)
*More Info*: https://www.facebook.com/events/1759808430989500
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1759808430989500>
*It is possible to join this session late or drop in through December 19th.*

*INSTRUCTOR BIO:*Teaching Artist Loren Groenendaal has been improvising her
entire dancing life. As a teacher, she has taught all ages, but her focus
has been teaching creative movement to children, ages 2-12 and Modern Dance
to all ages. She is a dedicated improvising performer and is excited to
bridge two of her main pursuits together in this class, bringing her
favorite kind of dance to everyone. She holds a BA in Dance and Visual Arts
from Oberlin College, an MFA in Dance from the University of North Carolina
at Greensboro, and is a Certified Movement Analyst from the
Laban/Bartenieff Institute of Movement Studies. She is a founding member of
The H-O-T Series and The Impermanent Society of Philadelphia, which
supports freely improvised dance and music in performance; a key organizer
and teacher for the Philadelphia Contact Improvisation community and the
founding Artistic Director of Vervet Dance, through which she produces much
of her creative work, some tightly choreographed, but much is semi-composed
improvisation.

More information at LorenTeachesMovement.com
<https://www.lorenteachesmovement.com/>
Email LorenTeachesMovement at gmail.com with questions.

*Loren Groenendaal*
MFA in Choreography
BA in Dance and Visual Arts
Certified Movement Analyst
Freelance Teaching Artist as Loren Teaches Movement
<https://www.lorenteachesmovement.com/>
Founding Artistic Director of Vervet Dance <http://www.vervetdance.org/>
Founding Member, Curator of Impermanent Society of Philadelphia
<http://www.impermanentsociety.com/>
Founding Member, Board Member, Artist in Residence of Mascher Space
Cooperative <http://mascherdance.com/>

Accepting secure tax deductible donations to Vervet Dance through Fractured
Atlas
<https://www.fracturedatlas.org/site/fiscal/profile?id=8174#about_project> to
support our ongoing expenses and upcoming projects.