[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] contact improvisation for people who love, hate, or love/hate touch

Nicole Bindler nicolebindler at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 13:28:05 EST 2017

*contact improvisation for people who love, hate, or love/hate touch*
With Nicole Bindler at Headlong Studios, 1170 S. Broad St
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1170+S.+Broad+St.*%C2%A0*(near+Broad&entry=gmail&source=g>
This Sunday, November 12th, 1-3pm, $10 drop-in

​
I often hear from some of my favorite dancers that they love Contact
Improv, but they avoid classes because they're afraid of getting stuck with
one incompatible partner for too long. What if we could repattern the idea
of a CI class from a place where we must touch everyone to a place where we
get to decide at any given moment who and how we touch?

This class is for regular CI practitioners to learn innovative ways to
communicate and understand consent, and for trepidatious attendees to dance
in community without a sense of obligation. We'll do a partnering skills
score in which everyone can decide how much they want to practice the
techniques vs. witness, and we'll explore how to transition between solo,
partner, and ensemble dancing using Body-Mind Centering tools as
inspiration for our movement ideas.

*Nicole Bindler* is a body-based performing artist whose choreography has
been shown throughout the United States, Canada, Argentina, and in Berlin,
Tokyo, Beirut, Bethlehem, Mexico City and Quito. Her work has been
supported by the Leeway Foundation, the Puffin Foundation, Foundation for
Contemporary Arts, Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, the Ellen Foreman
Memorial Award, Philadelphia Dance Projects, the Community Education
Center, FringeArts and the Pew Center for Arts and Heritage. Bindler holds
a BA in Dance and Poetry from Hampshire College, a degree in Muscular
Therapy from the Muscular Therapy Institute, and certificates in Embodied
Anatomy Yoga, Embodied Developmental Movement and Yoga, and Practitioner of
Body-Mind Centering from the School for Body-Mind Centering. She has taught
Somatics and Improvisation in the Dance and Theater departments at
University of Pennsylvania, Temple University, Drexel University and
University of the Arts. Bindler is the founder and director of The
Institute for Somatics and Social Justice: http://somaticsandsoc
ialjustice.org/

--
*Bindler <http://www.nicolebindler.com/>*

The Institute for Somatics and Social Justice
<https://www.somaticsandsocialjustice.org/>
Donate to our scholarship fundraiser!
<https://www.generosity.com/education-fundraising/somatics-and-social-justice-scholarships--2/x/16414619>
Like us on Facebook!