[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] THIS WEDNESDAY - JUDAICA: EMBODIED LABORATORY FOR SONGWORK

The Whole Shebang art.at.shebang at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 16:10:26 EDT 2017

Two very special events with *the Judaica project* (Ben Spatz, US; Nazlıhan
Eda Erçin, Turkey; Agnieszka Mendel, Poland) as part of JUDAICA: EMBODIED
LABORATORY FOR SONGWORK
<http://www.jvpphilly.org/events/2017/10/18/judaica-embodied-laboratory-for-songwork>
are
happening *this Wednesday October 18* at Shebang! Check it out and come
through!

Workshop: Introduction to Songwork
<http://www.thewholeshebangphilly.com/take-classes/judaica-introduction-to-songwork>
October 18th, 2017 10am-1pm
suggested donation sliding scale $15-$35 (no one will be turned away)

Screening: The Video Way of Thinking
<http://www.thewholeshebangphilly.com/performances-special-events/the-judaica-project-screening-the-video-way-of-thinking>
October 18th, 2017 1-4pm (come and go as you please)
suggested donation sliding scale $5-15 (no one will be turned away)

*About the workshop:*
This workshop will introduce the extended songwork practice developed by
the Judaica project. Participants will work with jewish songs in a variety
of languages and discover how the act of singing can transform bodies and
spaces. We will explore relationships between harmony and rhythm, body and
voice, individual and group, identity and technique. Based on the interests
and backgrounds of the participants we may also investigate issues of
cultural authority and appropriation, intellectual property, and
participatory coauthorship in the digital age.

*About the Screening: *
The Judaica project has developed new approaches to videomaking that center
embodiment and embodied knowledge. We will screen excerpts from our
extensive Songwork Catalogue as well as a series of ‘illuminated’ video
essays that juxtapose text and image to get underneath the skin of the
audiovisual and articulate new ways of thinking through video.

any one, any level, any discipline.

*The Judaica project* (Ben Spatz, US; Nazlıhan Eda Erçin, Turkey; Agnieszka
Mendel, Poland) is a laboratory for new embodied technique at the
crossroads of experimental performance, critical identity politics, and
ethnomusicological archives. We work with jewish songs from all over the
world in Hebrew, Yiddish, Ladino, Turkish, Luganda, English, and other
languages. In Philadelphia we will present all facets of our research
through a live lecture performance as well as a practical workshop and
video screenings. Come explore songwork, theatrical creation, and embodied
research in this multi-faceted theatre/laboratory event.

Check out all the JUDAICA: EMBODIED LABORATORY FOR SONGWORK Philadelphia
events on Oct 18 (including a performance and panel discussion at
FringeArts) here
<http://www.jvpphilly.org/events/2017/10/18/judaica-embodied-laboratory-for-songwork>
.

presented by The Institute for Somatics and Social Justice
<https://www.somaticsandsocialjustice.org/>
co-sponsored by Jewish Voice for Peace - Philadelphia
<http://www.jvpphilly.org/>