[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Our Dynamic Pelvis and Lower Spine- Workshop taught by Irene Dowd

Jennifer Johnson jenniferbjohnson at mac.com
Thu Oct 12 17:05:42 EDT 2017

OUR DYNAMIC PELVIS AND LOWER SPINE

taught by  Irene Dowd

November 12, 2017 1:00-4:00 p.m.
At Equilibrium Dance Academy, 1802 South Broad Street, Philadelphia

            Our pelvis serves as a kind of "hub of the wheel" to the rest of our body as we move through our daily life activities.  When we move our arms or leg or head through space, while maintaining our equilibrium, we are required to balance the forces acting on our pelvis and lower spine with complexly coordinated and responsive muscle activity at our hips, and lower trunk. I call this ongoing activity "dynamic stabilization" (which is mostly non-conscious when we are successful at it).  If we don't manage to balance those forces with adequately subtle and adaptable neuromuscular responses, then we may lose our balance, perhaps fall or even stress the joints of our spine and sacroiliac in ways that degrade well-being.

            In this workshop, we will review musculo-skeletal anatomy of the lower spine and pelvis.  We will experience an expanded vocabulary of movement possibilities of our pelvis and lower spine and discover muscular use strategies that can effectively produce these in the service of ongoing dynamic stability. Participants will learn conditioning and warm-up choreography created to facilitate movement, ease, and strength of our lower trunk as well as responsive stabilization of the joints of our lumbar spine and sacroiliac.

$100
Preregistration is required, Space is limited and these workshops sell out quickly.
Please email Jenniferbjohnson at mac.com <mailto:Jenniferbjohnson at mac.com> or
call 267-467-0223 to register
sponsored by Jennifer Binford Johnson