[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] 8/12 Saturday Review: Fringe Preview

Eliza Leighton eliza at soundspacephilly.net
Tue Aug 8 09:47:17 EDT 2017

Join us for a preview of works in progess to be shown at Fringe! There will
be refreshments before and after, and the event is pay-what-you-can.

Saturday, August 12th @ 8:30pm
Sound Space
2511 West Girard Ave
Philadelphia, Pa 19130

Irina Varina
Mira Treatman with Vanessa Ogbuehi
KC Chun-Manning and Camilla Dely

"3" - Irina Varina
In the past 3 months I did not do any performing/rehearsing/theater/dance
type (well, except for that one thing with Christina G) but worked on
finishing a 2-year-old film called "us, forever ago", interviewed male
friends about masculinity, decided to make a digital fringe piece called
"socially conscious friends", questioned the way we photograph nudity and
women who are not 25, took an online course called "art of love", worked
day jobs to make it all possible and periodically did nothing at all. And
felt grateful for many things (hey, "art of love" in action). I also found
never published (!) photos by very talented Lauren Karstens of me looking
particularly delicate. But also kind of barely seen. Oh well.

Come see what happens when I try to embody all of this somehow or to maybe
do something completely different.

"Dr. Mira", "Gravity Experiments for a Studio", "Preamble"
Mira Treatman
This year I have been researching the common ground between artificial
intimacy, architecture, power, and the history of ballet. At Sound Space I
will show several works to reveal unmistakable links embedded in these
research threads for which I am incredibly passionate.

"soft fissures; jagged spine"
KC Chun-Manning and Camilla Dely
~~description coming soon~~

Irina Varina works as a performer and filmmaker in Philadelphia and New
York. Most of her projects start out as explorations of life experiences
that are hard to put into words or seem too shameful. Her work tends to
revolve around women, personal history and the desire to connect and find a
place in the world.

Mira Treatman is a dance-theatre artist who creates live performances
stemming from experimental research. As a performer, she’s worked with
Sylvain Emard, Zornitsa Stoyanova, Katherine Kiefer Stark, Cie. Carabosse,
and Teatro Linea de Sombra. Mira’s work has been presented at Glasshouse
ArtLifeLab, The Sandy Spring Museum, Goldilocks Gallery, and at Dixon Place
with Irina Varina. In 2017, Mira was an artist in residence at Arts Letters
& Numbers.

For tickets to and a description of Mira's Fringe show:
*www.miratreatman.com/tickets
<http://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.miratreatman.com%2Ftickets&h=ATM6RW_dpI3ZXtiGsD-1h6wiMYbFj3UK_zA0p0lWuK-piv2kJdMAwsuzYveGXDY3Or5wTAccyCumuNTTQ7lucJfEypjU9IgMZ695HzhPt7sQjYaa_doyzzCFbNPqah9n68v1w_L0mA&s=1>*

*http://fringearts.com/event/a1/
<http://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ffringearts.com%2Fevent%2Fa1%2F&h=ATOMIwHWP6Hvw1Qym-aWUopatP9uMZMSxw1oilRWmnfRhjjd2SG_NqFJKGMv5yE5R1FzxfsufX-t1JyzBDvT18M2vW2VuuTXylAeR-McMjIG8TXfD5dxvU6CCrKClKW0EZoR0Graew&s=1>*

Camilla Dely is a South African-born, Philly-based theater artist. Last
seen performing in New Paradise Labs' GUMSHOE and ShoeBox Theater Co's
Amerika, she is working to make more and more of her own work, mashing
together dance, theater and music, always with a feminist backbone. Coming
up: Performing in Wedgewood on the Green with Drip Symphony and costuming
designing for WILD by ShoeBox Theater Company (both in Fringe 2017).

KC Chun-Manning is the artistic director of the project-based company
Freshblood, whose choreography has been presented at such venues as
NeXus/University
of Colorado at Boulder, Aspen Dance Connection, Packing House Center for
the Arts, Dairy Center for the Arts, Cool New York Dance Festival, DUMBO
Dance Festival, Brooklyn Arts Exchange, and the Merce Cunningham Studio,
Norristown DanceFest, Philadelphia FringeFestival,and Evening of Duets.

Her professional performing credits include the choreography of as Susan
Rethorst, kim olson/sweet edge, Maedée Duprès, Sara Hook, Cynthia Oliver,
Judy Dworin Performance Ensemble, Guillermo Ortega Tanus, and Jessica
Warchal-King.