[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Springading Dance Workshops

K Cordova 954dmc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 08:23:20 EDT 2017

Do the spring thing! Join us for two fun weeks of artist-led dance classes
and workshops:

For more information and questions, please email 954dmc at gmail.com or call
215-627-1157
Advanced tickets available at:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/springading-dance-workshops-tickets-33766307936

SPRINGADING 2017

DEEPLY EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL (SHIZU HOMMA)
TUESDAY, APRIL 18TH, 8-930PM; THURSDAY, APRIL 20TH, 6-7PM; TUESDAY, APRIL
25TH, 11AM-1230PM; THURSDAY, APRIL 27TH, 11AM-1230PM - $15 per class or 50
for 4 classes
In "Deeply External and Internal" the warm up is both a mental and physical
warmup, drawn from my studies and practices of Noguchi Taiso, Bodyweather,
and Jinen Butoh. The exercises are rigorous, with variations for
participants with physical limits. Afterwards the class will evolve into
forms that I have practiced from Jinen Butoh, Harupin Ha's methods taught
to me by Corinna Hiller, and other imagery work that I learned from Moeno
Wakamatsu, Daisuke Yoshimoto, Ko Murobushi, and other teachers. Partnering
exercises, improvisation practice and witnessing, and if the weather
permits, outside explorations will also be incorporated. Participants
should wear clothing that is comfortable to move in, layers are
recommended. Dancers and non dancers are welcome.

INTRO TO CLASSICAL INDIAN & BOLLYWOOD DANCE (SAPNA PATIL)
TUESDAY, APRIL 18TH, 6-7PM & THURSDAY, APRIL 27TH, 6-7PM - $20 PER CLASS OR
$30 FOR BOTH CLASSES
This class will introduce 2 styles of indian dancing – Indian classical and
Bollywood dance. The type of indian classical dance will be Bharat Natyam,
which is one of the oldest forms of traditional Indian classical dance and
consists of intricate hand gestures and footwork. Students will understand
the history of the dance, as well as be able to perform both indian
classical and Bollywood moves to an upbeat Bollywood song. Not only will
this be a great workout, but also a great way to expose artists and
students to a cultural and a unique dance technique experience. Both
classes will have a similar format but will be teaching different routines
to another song.

DISCOVERING DEPTHS IN DYNAMICS (SAMMI PFEIFFER)
TUESDAY, APRIL 18TH, 7-8PM & TUESDAY, APRIL 25TH, 730-830PM - $10 PER CLASS
movement. The hour-long class consists of a warm-up and a combination; the
objective is to push students to explore dynamics and the clarity with
which they move.

TECNICA CUBANA/AFRO CUBAN MODERN DANCE WORKSHOP W/ LIVE PERCUSSION (LEILANI)
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19TH 7-830PM - $15 PER CLASS
Relatively obscure in the United States due to the infamous Cuban embargo,
Afro-Cuban Modern dance or "Tecnica Cubana" is a unique blend of North
American modern technique (Duncan, Graham, Limón) and European ballet
(Ballet Alicia Alonso) with social and sacred Afro-Cuban traditions. The
class will start with a warm-up focused on contraction and release
techniques and undulation exercises, followed by across-the-floor and
choreographed combinations. This class focuses on mastering the control and
isolation of particular muscles in the body, allowing students to take
command of their body movements. It will also help students build
confidence and develop a new avenue for self-expression, in addition to
improving strength, flexibility, and technique.

POPULAR MUSIC VIDEO DANCE SERIES (KARMEN NICOLE)
THURSDAY, APRIL 20TH & FRIDAY APRIL 21ST, 7-830PM - $15 PER CLASS | $25 FOR
BOTH CLASSES
Two fun workshops: Thursday 4/20: 90's Dance Video Choreography. Rewind it
back to the 90's.... when every pop song had a video with amazing
choreography. You know you were doing the choreo in your room while
watching TRL or showing them off at school - because you were the only one
who had it nailed, obvi. I will guide you through a fierce 90's pop warm up
and then provide the class with options of what fun 90's video to learn.
Because it's a democracy.
Friday 4/21: Beyonce. Must any more be said? This class will channel Queen
Bey herself from stretches to warm up and ultimately learning choreo from
one of her popular videos. Feel free to bring sneaks OR heels, but please
don't forget your sass. ****ALL CLASSES WELCOME ANY AGE AND SKILL LEVEL****

GENEROUS PERFORMANCE-MAKING (MIRA TREATMAN)
SUNDAY, APRIL 23RD, 10AM - 2PM - $10 WORKSHOP (No one turned away for lack
of funds) In "Generous Performance-Making" you'll engage with other
performers in a theoretical playground. There will be space to test dance
hypotheses in a literally and figuratively open studio. This is a workshop
for thinking bodies to discover the bridge between a studio practice and
performance. There will be ample amounts of time allotted for reflection,
discussion and writing. Bring water, snacks and writing supplies.

MUSICALITY & STYLING FOR LATIN DANCING (LEILANI & MICHAEL)
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 26TH, 7-830PM - $10 PER CLASS
Understanding and moving to the music is the key to dancing well! This
workshop is intended for salsa and Cuban dancers of all levels. We will
emphasize styling and movement techniques inspired by Afro-Cuban folkloric
dances and traditional Cuban social dances. We will also break down the
music to its fundamental components and explain how you can align your
movement to better fit the music. You will never listen or move to Latin
music the same way again!

WHY STOP MOVING ONCE WE START? (KEILA CORDOVA)
SATURDAY, APRIL 29TH, 4-6PM - $10 PER CLASS
Sometimes it feels like there’s just not enough time to dance! We’re going
to gather and build a series of locomotions where we dance - dancers and
non-dancers alike - to eclectic music and build a community with our
actions. Let’s explore weight, balance, physics and movement ideas of how
bodies can dance together, exchange energy and build a collective strength
of reliance.