[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Next week! choreographic workshop with Susan Rethorst

Gabrielle Revlock redhorsephilly at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 12:18:37 EST 2016

*A Choreographic Mind with Susan Rethorst*Thursday, December 29 - Saturday,
December 31, 2016
10am-4pm
REDHORSE STUDIO, Philadelphia, PA
Workshop Fee: $250
*Includes a daily home cooked lunch! Dietary restrictions will be
accommodated.*

***REGISTER HERE***
<http://susanrethorst.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c8a7f459bc3b515bbc8033ad6&id=cd2b925325&e=79c4c8d74a>

*Workshop description: *Over three days participants examine in practice
what choreography is and does.  Where does it come from?  What is it for?
What are some ways to fuel one's work with one's questions?  Participants
will reflect on the nature of movement and its communicative capacity and
get inside the making of work with specific regard to issues of continuity,
time, phrasing and sequence.

Participants are asked to show work frequently/constantly and to consider
what the nature of the material demands, including modes of
production/presentation.
No previous dance experience required.

*In Susan’s words:*
*I teach from the point of view that making is an endless quest with ever
shifting ground. I encourage an attitude of fueling work with one's
questions, not regarding plans or themes as prerequisites. I regard
teaching as a conversational mode; my exercises are proposals in action. I
am interested in giving students the ability to recognize and access states
necessary to making work; intuition, perception, cognition, interiority,
emotional distance, spontaneity, pleasure, will, reflection, humor.*

*Participant testimonials:*
"In her workshops she treats the dancers as equals, and the room quickly
becomes a community of artists. I was not intimidated or fearful as the
creative space she holds is welcoming, nurturing, and very focused. I felt
safe experimenting. Her prompts and structures allows any dance artist to
move beyond their creative habits and enter a new way of creating, which is
extremely exciting. Both her sense of humor and her cerebral depth filled
the space and invited a sense of play and thoughtfulness in all of us as we
investigated our own new work."  –Darcy Lyons

"I have since adopted the invaluable tools and prompts that Susan
introduced into my choreographic process. It was an extraordinary
experience for me, and I look forward to continue my studies with Susan
too. I highly recommend dancers and movers of all kinds to take Susan's
workshop!"  –Mariam Dingilian

***REGISTER HERE***
<http://susanrethorst.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=c8a7f459bc3b515bbc8033ad6&id=601bec5c5a&e=79c4c8d74a>

--
REDHORSE STUDIO <http://susanrethorst.com/redhorse-studio>, Philadelphia, PA

December 29-31, 2016 - *A Choreographic Mind
<http://susanrethorst.com/class-workshops>* workshop.
July 31-August 5, 2017 - Wreck*©* Fest <http://susanrethorst.com/wrecking>