[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Take Class this Weekend at the Whole Shebang

The Whole Shebang art.at.shebang at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 11:42:40 EST 2016

This weekend is packed with activity at the Whole Shebang! Read below for
class descriptions with artists Asimina Chremos, Khaled Barghouthi, Samar
Haddad King, Mike Kiley and Meg Foley. Pre-register for classes at
www.thewholeshebangphilly.com/take-classes/.

*Trusting What Is with Asimina Chremos *
Sunday, November 20, 11 am - 2 pm
Relationship is self-existing
In this session we will explore how we might create together,
collaboratively, and how we embody our audience as well. As a corollary, we
will explore the question: How do we relate to things we can’t control?
Could we take the pressure off ourselves to be so brilliant and awesome all
the time?

*Palestinian Contemporary Dance Showing and Workshop*
Friday, November 18, 8 pm Showing
Saturday, November 19, 11 am - 2 pm Workshop
Palestinian dance artist Khaled Barghouthi and Palestinian-American dance
artist Samar Haddad King (Artistic Director of Yaa Samar! Dance Theatre aka
YSDT), will show work, discuss their process, and teach a workshop. The
workshop will begin with a technique followed by an improvisation class.

*action is primary with Meg Foley*
Sunday, November 20, 5:30 - 8:30 pm
action is primary is an improvisational practice and mode of making in the
moment that examines how attention, imagination, embodied presence, and the
ghosts of our choices tumble through form (our form, the dance’s form) in a
constant play of regeneration and falling inwards and spilling out. In this
workshop we will train and delve deeply into physically based perceptual,
emotional, and compositional tasks and approaches towards ripe
decision-making.

*Personal Resonance: a two part/two level voice class for all disciplines *
*with Michael Kiley*
Sunday, November, 20, 2:30 -4:30 pm (An Introduction)
Monday, November, 21, 7 - 9 pm (An Exploration)
The act of singing has been defined by our culture as an elitist act that
only few may do. Public singing has all but disappeared from daily life.
The institutionalization and corporatization of singing has lulled us into
accepting that most of us have no business doing it. Yet singing is one of
the most beneficial personal acts of expression and healing possible within
the human form. This two part workshop consists of an introduction, in
which you will be introduced to physical explorations of sound and will
begin the process of reclaiming your voice as an instrument of expression
and an exploration, in which you will move into deeper material
exploration, generation, and construction in solo and group forms.