[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] H-O-T Improvisation Performance and Red Square Practice class SATURDAY 9/24 at 6:30 & 8

Loren Groenendaal lorengroenendaal at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 16:36:31 EDT 2016

Hello Philadelphia Dance Community,

The H-O-T Series of Philadelphia is Saturday night, 9/24/16! Include these
great one-time-only events in your fringe season plans.

In addition to the performance, we have added an educational program added
just prior to the performance for performers and audience alike to get a
taste of improvisational practices.

Timeline for *H-O-T Warming Workshop
<https://www.facebook.com/events/168449916914641/>* and *H-O-T Series of
Philadelphia
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1804660993102500/> performance,* all
at Mascher
Space Co-operative <http://www.mascherdance.org/> Saturday, September 24,
2016:

6:00 Space opens
6:15 H-O-T Warming Workshop
<https://www.facebook.com/events/168449916914641/> starts
6:30 Last entry for workshop (doors will be closed until 7:30)
7:30 Doors open for performance and class concludes
8:00 H-O-T Series of Philadelphia Performance
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1804660993102500/> starts

*H-O-T Warming Workshop*: *Red Square with Janna Meiring*
Saturday, September 24, 2016 6:15-7:30
Mascher Space Co-operative <http://www.mascherdance.org/>
155 Cecil B. Moore Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19122
Class cost $5-10 sliding scale
https://www.facebook.com/events/168449916914641/

This class is open to public and is appropriate for artists of any
discipline and audience members interested in exploring improvisational
performance practices.

The human mind likes to make sense of things--we are never really free of
interpreting and building story from what we see onstage.  How do we engage
with this instant image/story/meaning-making as improvisers? How do we
engage with it as see-ers, as audience? How can we wake up to the delight
of impulse, build meaning  together as it unfolds, yet not cling to it?

Taught by one of her former students, the practice of Red Square is a part
of the Contemplative Dance Practices developed by Barbara Dilley, who began
as a modern dancer with Merce Cunningham, in artist community with Judson
Church and later went on explore the intersection of mindfulness and
improvisational dance practices. In this warm-up workshop for the H-O-T
Series, we will attune to inner impulse and manifestation of that impulse
in space, and investigate how forms, bodies and sounds in space are
received.

Red Square Practice is a compositional framework from the lineage of
Barbara Dilley for touching into personal impulse and applying it
compositionally with precision and effortlessness. It supports the
performer in honoring impulse and understanding what is being created and
seen in terms of narrative and story. Generally begins in solo and builds
up to larger groups, but always has observers. Dialogue happens between
each exercise. Janna will be adapting this practice to be appropriate for
artists based more in sound than movement. This workshop is a professional
development opportunity in perceiving and being perceived, whether audience
or artist, at the H-O-T Series that immediately follows or another occasion.

Janna Meiring, MFA is a performing artist, teacher, and writer based in
Philadelphia, PA.  Her passionate long-time studies include Contemplative
Practices of Barbara Dilley, Viewpoints, and Body Mind Centering. She was
artist-in-residence at E|MERGE Collaborative Residency 2016 at Earthdance.
Her collaborative and solo work has been seen at Boulder International
Fringe Festival, Denver Performance Research and Workspace Denver.
Locally, she is a writer for thINKingDANCE, and as a performer has been
seen with The Institute for Psychogeographic Adventure (IPA) FringeArts
2014, Vervet Dance, From the Earth Dance Project, Antonia & Artists, the
Impermanent Society of Philadelphia and also presented solo work. http://
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jannameiring.com%2F&h=_AQEUqPau&enc=AZMCGXHaZ-cx65TVBW2ggr_6POQq1BiIHgD9uJzf44qxEs3GaIwgdq6OwFGPHTzLWrc&s=1&skip_shim_verification=1>
www.jannameiring.com/
<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jannameiring.com%2F&h=_AQEUqPau&enc=AZMCGXHaZ-cx65TVBW2ggr_6POQq1BiIHgD9uJzf44qxEs3GaIwgdq6OwFGPHTzLWrc&s=1&skip_shim_verification=1>

Please note for class that doors open at 6. To attend class, be present no
later than 6:30. Doors will re-open at 7:30 for performance
Please wear moveable clothes.

*H-O-T Series of Philadelphia Performance*
Saturday, September 24, 2016
Doors open at 7:30, Performance starts at 8:00pm
Mascher Space Co-operative <http://www.mascherdance.org/>
155 Cecil B. Moore Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19122
Tickets at the door: $5-10 sliding scale
https://www.facebook.com/events/1804660993102500/

The H-O-T Series of Philadelphia is a mostly monthly performance event
curated by dance artist Loren Groenendaal <http://www.vervetdance.org/> and
experimental percussionist Flandrew Fleisenberg
<http://lifeoffleisenberg.blogspot.com/> that features improvisational
dance and music from local and touring artists. The series highlights the
playful interaction between movement and sound artists as live composition.

ARTISTS this MONTH for 9/24/16:
DANCERS:
Nathan Dawley
<http://churchstreetstudios.com/portfolio/actor-head-shots-nathan-dawley-contact-info/>,