[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] Dance class w/ Shannon Murphy tomorrow!

The Whole Shebang art.at.shebang at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 15:46:43 EDT 2016

Dancing Dynamically, Autonomously
<http://www.thewholeshebangphilly.com/take-classes/shannon> - a six week
session with Shannon Murphy - STARTS TOMORROW at 10am! Come dance!

Fridays 10am-11:45am Sept 23 - Oct 28
$12 working artists + students/$15 general

*About the class:*
This is a dance class in the contemporary sense. It's content is curated by
my research and practice in Franklin Method, and contemporary jazz and
modern techniques. The application of this class is a practice for me as
well. I will guide you through lots of learned phrase material but
encourage each individual to self govern. *What does that mean?* Well, I
imagine a world in which contemporary dance techniques can be studied with
the individual at the center... Where you have time to listen to the
desires of your body while trying on my vocabulary. I want to study how we
listen to our internal dynamics and choose to participate in organizing our
body around someone else's movement patterns. This class is advanced in its
sequencing and challenges participants to multitask, increasing the
sensitivity of their internal rhythms while feeling the organization
process of big weight shifts, moving in and out of the floor and acute
redirection of the body in space. I like to get sweaty, exhaust the
physical and sensorial self, and train with effort an efficiently dynamic
self.